The Nature Photographic Society, Singapore is organizing a new photo contest to find the Singapore Nature Photographer of the Year 2017. A Year-long competition, very serious prizes and multiple events recognizing the winners.
More after the break…
We want to
- showcase the beauty and fragility of nature through photographic images
- encourage nature photographers to have a deeper understanding of the nature objects beyond photography
- inspire photographers and members of the public to preserve and conserve our natural environment through the competition
- promote ethical nature photography practices among nature photographers in Singapore
We ambition to become the Asia Pacific equivalent of the prestigious BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
Key highlights are
- a cash prize S$ 3,000 and Canon camera gear worth up to S$ 4,000
- a year-long competition, 3 quarterly rounds across all categories and various themes
- 4 categories: landscape, underwater and macro, avian and wildlife, young nature photographer
- workshops, talks and courses to inspire, educate and encourage participation
- a beyond the competition full program with talks by the winner, exhibition, published book on winning and shortlisted entries
Run-up to the contest
- Photography courses will be organized to impart skills and knowledge
- Talks and workshops to inspire participants and provide shooting opportunities
- Promotion through traditional and social media
- Open to all residents of Singapore
- Each entry comprise of 1 to 5 pictures
- Each entry to be accompanied by max 300 words write-up conveying insights into species behavior, habitat, ecological or environmental pressures or concerns threatening its existence. For landscape, description of the geological and environmental factors or weather conditions plus the technique used to capture the image are acceptable.
- Images must not include any “Hand of Man”, no man-made structure or human elements
- Entry fee S$30 per quarter for non-NPSS members. Free for NPSS members
- Max 12 entries per entrant per quarter
- Entries must comply with NPSS Code of Ethics
- Organizing committee of NPSS will shortlist entries
- Shortlisted entries will be judged by a panel of 5 renowned judges
- Scoring is based on total of 100 points. Write-ups are considered in the judging.
- Top 10 scoring entries per category per quarter will be announced.