• This topic has 877 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi
    I know this has been debated elsewhere but I would really like to hear the opinions of those who own either one or both(!). Any regrets either way or simply reflections/advice on owning these big lens. Thanks and your input will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

LT

If you are comfortable with carrying around the 600mm in the field ( i understand that it is quite a heavy-weight), then i think you will enjoy the additional reach of a 600mm in birding.

I noted Artie used mostly his 800mm f5.6 for his bird shots…maybe you may even wish to consider that lens? I heard that it is lighter or shorter than the 600mm???? you need to check that..

Alternatively, if budget is unlimited :twisted: , go for the $120k 1200mm lens – just be forewarned that SC may be camping outside your home to be the first in queue to borrow it :twisted: :twisted:

Loong Tat,

I chose 500mm over 600mm because of 2 things :

1) Weight – you been to Panti, you know how much walking we need to have, the extra weight put me off a little. Just this past Sat, I went to a quarry in Malaysia and the owner decided to lock the gate and I had to drag my gears (both 500mm and 300mm) for about 800m, I was glad that it was not 600mm. :P
    2) Size – It probably easier to travel with 500mm than 600mm. Been to a few overseas trip, packing all the lenses into a bag is no joke.

Of course, it is more expensive too. However, the trade off is the reach. Sometimes I shoot side by side with Con and Jean Rene, my subject is smaller than theirs. :cry:

PP’s suggestion of the 1200mm is a good one, remember my office is very close to your house, so I definitely will be first one in the queue. :D :twisted:

Cheers,
    SC

Hi PP and SC,
    Thank you for the pointers. I do think however that you wouldn’t have to wait outside my house too long because I dont think i will get the 1200mm lens :)
    But seriously I am very tempted to just get the 600mm and not let myself hanker for it later :) But I do appreciate the hard slog in hauling it around. I hope Con and/or Rene can shed some light on this.
    Of course I could go for the 500mm and save towards the 1D body.
    So many considerations….

Cheers,
    Loong Tat
    You carried the 500mm and the 300mm together!! :o :kow tow:

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Loong Tat,

Con and Jr uses the 600…Graeme and SC uses the 500. Looks like Nikon users prefer the 600s while the Canon users prefer the 500s! :D But oops, left out PP!

Seriously, if given a choice, I would get the 500 if I have to be hiking to look for subjects. If I can expect to shoot nearby the vehicle then I would get the 600. I sometimes have to lug the Sigma 300-800 (which is a little more than the 600) and its no easy task to walk the few hundred metres though you may be differ. ;) Given a choice, I would choose the 500 but I need the flexibility of the zoom.

The birders will of course give way better advice but thought I would give a 1 cent opinion. :ashamed:

Cheers

Han

Hi Han,
    Thanks for your input. Appreciate it very much.
    I am sure I will find the 600mm tough to carry for any distance. Judging from my (still limited) birding experience,walking to search for subjects seems to be inevitable.The other thing that I will have to consider is the need to change my current support system.
    Anyway i will only get the lens this year-end so I will still have loads of time to think it over :)

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

Profile photo of Olesen, BjornOlesen, Bjorn
    Spectator

I bought a Nikon VR600mm last year and has not regretted it, yes it is some 1.1 kg heavier or 20% heavier, so I try to cut down on the other stuff I carry. Just been to Peru and back hand-carrying the monster, but it does fit into a rug sack, so you can take it on board flights without too much problem. It is certainly more expensive, but what decided for me was that you get an image that is 44% bigger than the 500mm.

Probably a good idea that you start to do push ups now.
    :?

Bjorn

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

LT,

I have a 500mm which is almost a year now and never regret buying it.
    Yes, it’s easier to carry around which means you can walk further than the guy carrying a 600mm lens if you have the same strength and stamina. However, I also agree that 600mm gives extra reach and higher magnification.

hee hee….next time when we bird in group…we need to put this protocol in place….first row, all the 300s, second row the 500s and third row the 600s….. :twisted:

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Oi… Don’t forget the 400s leh :Innocent:

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

What about the 180 and 200 macros? :twisted:

Hi guys(and gal)
    Thank you so much for your comments.
    I have done the deed and got the 600mm. Now to live up to the lens’ expectations :)

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

Oi… Don’t forget the 400s leh :Innocent:

PT – as long as you still have that trogon luck with u, you got first class row man…. :dance:

What about the 180 and 200 macros? :twisted:

ai yah han…. :roll: ..ok lah….gather in too lah…just find a spot to squeeze in, but dont go so near and block my subject ok… :x :twisted: …and you might as well get the landscape wide angle guys to come in too while on your way… :nyah nyah:

I have done the deed and got the 600mm. Now to live up to the lens’ expectations :)

LT – congratulations!!! I think the lens need to live up to your expectations and not vice versa :D ! When’s the delivery & open ceremony? Must join la if i am free……… :peace:

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Opened already. Shot a lot of birds already – including a few lifers for him yesterday. Well, all those birds I shot yesterday are lifers for me – shows how few species I have. But now I have one of my dream bird liow. Thanks Loong Tat and May for the ride and food. You’ll be amazed what great company, good food and a little bit of luck can do.

Profile photo of tridenttrident

LT,
    Congrats on ur 600, now to see the pictures :cheers:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]