• This topic has 482 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of photodriftphotodrift

Hey guys!

I have taken a liking to photography, especially wildlife photography, during the recent years. I would like to ask for advice on which professional camera I should purchase if I have a budget of <$1000 (still a student)? Of course, I hope that the quality of the pictures would be as good as possible though I know that there are limitations to the brands I can buy due to my budget. I currently only own a digital camera of abt 6MB. Thank you for any helpful advice!

Hi,

Welcome to NPSS and glad that you are interested in this hobby.

May be you can let us know which genre of wildlife photography you are interested in. Most of us here are using DSLRs, they are a few using sophisticated P&S plus adapter and have excellent results (search for postings from chuanye).

I am not sure what type of professional camera you are referring, but for Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus, all the top ends camera are very expensive. If you are starting out, I will recommend entry level DSLR e.g. Nikon D90, Canon 500D, etc. DSLR is just the body, you will also need to look at lenses, which can cost more than the camera body. Other than the body and lenses, there are also accessories to invest in , e.g. flash, tripod, ball head, etc.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of tridenttrident

Hi Photodrift,
    Welcome to NPSS, glad to hear that nature photography is also your cup of tea.
    Why don’t you tell us what camera you currently own?
    Since you are a student and budget is tight, can consider a second hand cam.

Profile photo of Low, Mun Kit PeterLow, Mun Kit Peter
    Participant

Hi Photodrift,

Just to expand on SC’s mail, different genre of nature photography needs different lens system. From what I know, there are 3 broad areas:

a. macro photography
    b. wildlife & birds
    c. landscape.

The experts here would be able to give you more specific advice if you can give them more info.

Enjoy your photography & welcome to NPSS.

Regards

Peter Low

hi!

thanks for all the helpful replies! I think i would want to focus more on wildlife photography. If you mean what kind of wildlife I’m interested in, I would say a wide variety. As long as it is moving I would find it interesting and will want to take a shot of it haha. what kind of genres of wildlife are there?

my camera now is a old fujifilm digital camera of 6 megapixels i think and the quality is horrible.

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Photodrift,

Read Peter Low’s posting, he has stated that nature photography is mostly macro, birds and landscapes (at least here in SG). As a starter, you may want to start with macro and landscapes first as this are the cheaper forms as compared to birding.

I will have to advise that you look to starting building up your photography foundation now. Having the best cameras and lenses does not increase your chances of getting a good shot if you do not have the basics of light, exposure, etc. In fact, you will not need the best camera as the earlier replies have indicated. All you need is a basic body to start off and a couple of lenses, flash and a good solid tripod support.

Giving us a budget will allow us to work out some possible setups.

Cheers

Han

hi thanks!

Where can I take lessons on those stuff mentioned above? Is it possible to take part in the classes if you dont have a pro camera? I am currently looking at a budget of lesser than $1000. thanks!

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Photodrift,

Do you know about aperture, shutter speed, DOF, fill flash, etc? If you do not, then you should be looking into attending a basic photography course. I will PM you a instructor that I am familiar and is good and very affordable.

For 1k, you are limited to the consumer range of DSLRs such as Canon’s 450D wth a kit lens or Nikon’s D60 kit. That said, either one of this will suffice for macro and landscape. You can even do bird photography but without a long lens and faster AF, it will be tougher than macro and landscape.

Likewise, you can always join us as a Junior Member and join our outings where we can help you out.

Cheers

Han

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]