• This topic has 957 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of skfooskfoo

Beside Andy Rouse, I came across E.J. Peiker’s website and noted he has returned to Nikon too. Though it was only a few lines, it was quite interesting on his views of Sony A900, Canon 5DMkII, Canon 1Ds Mk III and Nikon D3X.
    http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Quac … 202009.pdf

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Yup, read that some time back and in fact, when i saw his eqpt list a few months back, I knew a change is due. It really does not make much sense to keep 2 systems. I myself am tempted to go Nikon but with the 5D M2, things will remain for me.

Cheers

Han

Well, this happen every 3 or 4 years, people change from one system to the other, which is good, it shows that there is competition out there and force the camera companies to improve and set the next benchmark. For me, I will stick to my current system as I believe I have not fully realized the potential of my current system. Also, I am not even close to those professional athlete level where wearing Nike or Reebok will make a 0.01s difference in 100m race :D

Cheers,
    SC

Spectator

I agree with you SC. The fact that the 5D M2 is here (though a little late) and that Canon has got video technology in it way better than the D90 can offer says alot on what is going on behind. Hope their subsequent bodies will mount a more serious challenge rather than MP count.

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of birdiebirdie

nikon was the undisputed champion of the film era. the legendary f5 is a dream machine and i don’t think any canon film cameras can even come close to it. interestingly there are pple who said that the shutter of the f5 could last up one million clicks!!

where nikon has erred is when the digital era unfolded and the fact that they slow to come out with more AFS lense. it was unprepared, perhaps overconfident, and canon moved in for the kill. but just like muhamad ali, nikon came fighting back.

in all honesty nikon’s cameras are better made than canon’s. the D3X can even take DX lenses, as well as older nikon lenses. you see nikon retain its past whereas canon is like electricity out of control (1.6x, 1.3x), always go for new things and forgetting the past. one day this, the next day that … nikon 1.5x or FF. that’s it.

with the advent D3X, i say nikon has come back. but please nikon, make a good 100-400 and a 400 f5.6, all with IS. these will cover the middle range.

it will not be surprising that in the next olympics, the sea of black will overshadow the sea of white.

Profile photo of LumiereLumiere

My opinion to the matter, both system have pros and cons, and to me.. its about the same.
    Those who know me, knows i was heavily invested in Canon EOS (from EOS 10, 50 to 1n, 3, 1V, 1D) in the past (before my hiatus), and it performed flawlessly. But at the same, time I never found Nikon to inferior at all, its more like use what you are comfortable with.

-Alex

Spectator

Very true Alex but with Nikon’s new crop of DSLRs (D300, D700, D3), they have come up too strong for the current speed champs of Canon (frankly and its only the 1DM3). That said, I never found Nikon bodies particularly tough. I have a self-damaged 24-70 AFS and a D3 that had a sudden failed shutter (shutter count of less than 30k).
    :doh_alamak:

But yes, user ease must always come first but the gap between the 2 big brands are so narrow and in fact, seems to be Nikon’s leading the path now….

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of skfooskfoo

It’s true that once a person invested in a system, changing system can be expensive. For me, Nikon D3 has to be the best Nikon DSLR I have ever used (and I have used D1h, D2h, D2hs, D2x, D2xs and D3 currently). It does not cencern me how well it fair against the competition. With it, I photograph in situations that I would not have done before (like in the rain under shelter) and shoot using ISO1000 (norm) and above (previously ISO400 is the max, ISO800 is pushing the limit). It locks on subject very fast, fast motor drive actions, brightest view finder (as compared to my previous cameras), 14bit colour and still capture fast, impressive arrays of focuing points (depending on selction. one of them would even follow the subject as it moves), intuitive (just like all Nikon pro bodiies) and the list goes on. I enjoy every minute with it, whenever I could go into the fields. Since I have no issue with the pixel count in D2h, I am happy the images I shot under DX mode. One added bonus is some shy creatures might be frightened by using flash or the eyes would look unnatural with flash. The high iso performance cover this area nicely. :smile:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]