• This topic has 623 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of erictanerictan

hi,

i am contemplating getting a telephoto lens, but unfirtunately, budget is limited…
    the other unfortunate thing is that i am using nikon and nikon telephoto lens cost a bomb…

am interested to get the 200-400mm VR, but it costs above 10K!!!
    so, i have turned to looking at sigma or tammron….
    any suggestion?

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Eric,

First of all, what budget are you working with? You can always try out the 50-500 or the 200-500 by both Sigma and Tamron for a start. These lenses will AF slower than their prime counterparts and may not provide as high an image quality but hey, they are way way cheaper. The Sigma 120-300 is a good lens though it is a little short. I have one and have gotten some great results with the lens alone. I will try it out with a 2X teleconverter soon and let you know.

Cheers

Han

Eric,

The 200-400mm VR is a great lens :kudos thumbsup: , Wish Canon has something similar. Are you looking at only zoon lens? IF you are, Han has already recommended the 200-500mm, it is a reasonable zoom lens, but AF is nowhere close to 200-400VR.

If you are looking at prime, you can also look at 2nd hand Nikon 500mm, prices should be quite attractive now with many upgrade to the VR version. Another to consider is Sigma 500mm f/4.5, it is a lot cheaper and with pretty good performance.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of erictanerictan

thanks guys, really appreciate all your advice….

since it involves a pretty big sum of money, really want to understand the options available before taking the plunge…

really love the 200-400mm VR cause the zoom offers a lot of flexibility… but it seems that 400mm might be a tad short for birding….
    wonder what your views are ?

will consider sigma, but worried the image quality not up to par…
    of course understand that must compromise.. ha ha :)
    but looking for value for money in terms of price versus image quality… ha ha :)

Profile photo of ZeddyZeddy

I don’t know how limiting is 400mm because the longest lens I’m using now is 70-300 VR.

If you want longer reaching lens, I think Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 EX DG HSM APO IF is definitely a good choice. However, the price and availability are problems.

Alternatives are Sigma APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG/HSM and Sigma APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG/HSM with TC.

My 2 cents

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]