• This topic has 943 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tan, Chuan YeanTan, Chuan Yean
    Spectator

Just came back from Phuket, and went to the nearby Khai Nok island.

First time seeing a black-tip reef shark in the flesh while snorkelling. Guide said to be harmless, and I thought it will be a small baby sharks etc…..but it was LARGE…..and quite exciting when it zip pass me the first time! Guess there was only one there, and in total of say the half-hr there, I saw it 3 times. Kind of hard to shoot as it was really fast, and by the time I see it, it would have gone pass me.

Nevertheless, these are definitely SNAPSHOTs and not quality shots, but to share them here nevertheless.

Canon A610 with U/W casing.
    F4, 1/160s

#1:2nd time it zip pass me, just raised my camera and snap

#2: 3rd and last time I saw it coming to me. by the time I raise camera, it swam away.

After the 3rd time, I said enough, and began to worry. What if I cut myself on the corals???? So made my way back….careful not to injure myself….furthermore, I had some scratches previously, so not sure if that would give out any smell!

Hi CY,

Interesting to see these sharks, I’d be a bit concerned too :|

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

CY,
    Any shot showing those massive teeth? :roll:
    Your Safety is more important.

Spectator

ha ha…..if I manage to show its teeth….you probably find the picture on someone else PC, who picked up the floating U/W camera somewhere….. :D

Profile photo of amc717amc717
    Spectator

CY,

Thanks for sharing your shark pics…these make me miss diving more.

Just got to say that when you actually see a shark, you’re one of the luck ones (in reference to scuba diving). I have known a lady diver who logged 80 dives before actually seeing a shark. We get this myth that its so easy to see a shark when one dives, but their more shy than we think (well, speaking from my experience).

Hope to dive soon…maybe you could organize a dive trip for divers in this forum.

Cheers,

Art

Spectator

Hi art!

I was snorkelling not diving…..anyway, no diving licence.

Guess this shark was always around the area as the guide brought us to the ‘place’. I expected it to be at A particular place, but when I first saw it, it swam between the guides and me.

Profile photo of steplimsteplim

Now I can imagine how it looks CY. Didn’t know it is so big, as your guide said it is harmless then you should ask the guide to snap to frontal view…. :D

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Hi CY,
    Black tip sharks, wow! I really missed those guys. They’re pretty harmless if you leave them alone.

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

thanks for sharing,CY. Despite the guide’s assurance, remember this is still a wild animal. :shock:

Spectator

Thanks fellas!

Yep, these are wild animals….thats why swam back after seeing it 3 times! :lol:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]