• This topic has 582 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Hi,
    Saw this bird near my house. Can someone help with the ID? By the way, which bird ID book is recommended for local birds? Thanks.

CWL_0188.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tridenttrident

Luenny,
    Can’t help with the ID now, got to go and check my book.
    New Holland Field Guide to the Birds of South-East Asia by Craig Robson.
    This is a very popular Field Guide.
    BTW It’s a pretty looking bird.

Profile photo of kokhuitankokhuitan

This is a juv Pied Triller.

Profile photo of tridenttrident

Pied Triller, Scientific name : Lalage nigra is listed as Uncommon and is a resident here.
    You are very lucky to get a shot at it. Please check to see if they are still around.
    I also want :P

Hi Richard and Kok Hui,
    Thanks for the info. By the way, how can you tell it’s a juv? Anyway, what does it mean by uncommon and resident here? Does it mean that it’s rare? Sorry, just want to make sure I understand what is written.

As for shooting it, sorry Richard. I checked this morning and it’s not there anymore. The nest is empty, both chicks have fledged. I can post the info now because they’ve fledged. However, I am still puzzle because quite a few people tell me that this bird is a juv. But from what I see, it seems to be one of the parent because it has been feeding the chicks and flying away for more food. Hmm …

Pied triller – the juvenile looks like the female (maybe that is why you are confused :huh what: )… Difference is slightly darker brown on the crown for juv & it has some buffed scales or something (cant remember) on the chest…you can read these from the field guides.(i read mine yesterday so I can shared it…i dont have these things inside my head… :D ).

Lay men terms from my understanding –

uncommon means Not common lah :nyah nyah: …(seldom sighted!)
    Common – means common loh…usually sighted……
    Very common – means our mynas lah….. :D (joking!!)

rare – have a confirmed record of sighting (but very few) of its existence in that country……..

resident means Got PR loh – doesnt need to leave during migration season…..will also breed in that country

migratory – means come/sighted during migration season…….

I think there are more scientific way to explain the terms :oops: Hope the experts dont kill me for these answers……..

Hi PP,
    Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I have to get myself a field guide too. Anyway, I’m pretty sure this one is the mother. The chick looks really different from my pictures. Yup, will post them later when I have time. :P

Profile photo of kokhuitankokhuitan

Hi Luenny,

Juvenile has streaks on breast and scales on the upperparts, so I’ve to concur with you that it’s a female. As you can see a photo won’t tell the whole story, so it’s always good to have some notes about the location, habitat, behaviour, etc.

rgd,
    Kok Hui

Hi Kok Hui,
    Thanks for the clarification. I’m not very good about bird behavior yet. But will try my best in the future to note them down.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]