• This topic has 1,134 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ok…times are bad, and we need to be as innovative with our hands as much as we can, before resigning to our fate and head to the shops for the lenscoat.

Just wondering whether anyone has any brainwaves on making a diy lenscoat to protect the big guns from dings and bangs….been to a hardware shop, but they dont sell neoprene sheets……even thinking of cutting a leg off from my diving wetsuit that have so long not taste the salt of sea.. :twisted: :twisted:

p/s I know the real stuff is just a fraction of the cost compared to the lens, but a penny saved, is a penny earned :P . So, any ideas (especially workable ones :nyah nyah: ) are welcome…Think…think….think…. :huh what: :indifferent:

Profile photo of tridenttrident

PP,
    I read from somewhere that can get neoprene material from Royal Sporting House. Just have to sew it yourself.
    Only thing is, it’s black in color.

Here you go cheapo peacefuldove :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readf … angemode=1

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

PP,
    I will still go for the Lenscoat.
    There are a lot of ways to save and I will save on other things, not on this one.
    Say.. I will spend $95 less on my holiday trip. :nyah nyah:

thanks Richard for the tip.

SC – I love the cheapo idea!!! Fits my budget exactly :D :D …Beware all that I may turn up for birding one day with my lens in spiderman suit. :P

Rey – I hear you….but if i can save $95 on my holiday and $95 on lenscoat, i will be $190 richer :woohoo: … Well, let me try the cheapo way first, if it doesnt work, what to do…buy original loh.. :roll: … (hey, my diy tripod lenscoat is still holding out pretty strong till today :D :D :D )

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Rey – I hear you….but if i can save $95 on my holiday and $95 on lenscoat, i will be $190 richer :woohoo: … Well, let me try the cheapo way first, if it doesnt work, what to do…buy original loh.. :roll: … (hey, my diy tripod lenscoat is still holding out pretty strong till today :D :D :D )

Copy that.
    You mean your tripod leg coat. :nyah nyah:

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

PP,

You can hope down to Cash Converters at AMK Central. I saw plenty of wetsuits there before! Sungei Road may be a good choice too, you never know what you may find there! ;) :) Im just going to roll gaffer tape around my big lens since I got one big roll at home. :worried:

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of JRCJRC

Hi PP,

Remove the socks from your tripod and put them around your 500mm :woohoo:

Cheers
    JR

Profile photo of tridenttrident

I remembered once seeing a lenscoat make in Beach Road. Can’t remember who.
    But he got the seamstress at Beach Rd market (upstairs where they sell all the army stuff)
    to sew the lenscoat, using camo material and velcro to join.

Thanks Richard – I’ve been intending to check out beach road one of these days for camo materials to do some diy creativity sewing :D …havent been there before :oops: .

Remove the socks from your tripod and put them around your 500mm

JR – it would be lovely if the "socks" could be used for the lens – but I am afraid that the material would be too easily get caught/tangled up with the vines and branches in the forest… :(

Han – thanks for the tip. I dont understand how gaffer tape works (havent seen one in the field)..doesnt these plaster/glue/stick onto your lens like a cello-tape (eg those tapes that stuck on badminton racket’s handle)//// (or is it just the ends that stick??). Have bought a second hand lens that the owner said it was previously protected by gaffer tape…very nice condition – didnt find anything sticky on the body at all…. :huh what:

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

My tripod got gaffer tape. I’ve a big roll of it (black), you can use it if you want, don’t think I can finish using it anyway.

Cheers,
    PTLee

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]