• This topic has 2,017 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tridenttrident

Hi,
    Would like to know how you guys manage your files.
    Shooting in RAW will quickly fill out your hard disk, would you delete the non-keepers
    and just keep the few keepers or
    after selecting what you want, covert the rest to jpeg and delete the RAW to save space?

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

I keep my RAW as it is. Just go buy a 1TB hard disk. That should be able to last you for sometime. :D

Yes, Wei Luen is absolutely correct. The time wasted on deleting files is the lowest paid job you can find. :D Imagine 1TB now is less than S$200 or S$1 per 5G of data or about half a cent per raw file. ;)

Cheers,
    SC

Is it really advisable to get a 1TB hard disk? When it crashed :cry: , that would be a lot of data lost at one go….read somewhere about it being a good practice to have a few smaller size hard disk vs one big giant size one….do you guys double back-up in cds as well?

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Richard,

This is my setup for now:

1) Copy all files from CF to one of the 4 internal HDD I have.

2) Copy all files from CF card to one of my external drives (RAID 1 so I am effectively backed up)

3) Check that all the files are present. The point of copying from the CF in #1 and #2 is in case, a file is corrupted in #1 and you proceed to just copy from the internal to the external, the bad copy will be copied. Downloading from the cards twice prevents that from happening.

4) Process from internal HDD

5) Delete super crappy shots that are totally a waste of space from internal drive.

6) Select keepers and store into another RAID 1 setup.

7) If I have time, backup to 2 DVDs and 2 CDs. The discs are stored in jewel cases and store in a dedicated casing for about 200 cds. If CDs, I thot of leaving a copy in office so that if my home is raided, I will still have copy safe.

Thus at any one point, I will have 3 HDD setups with the images and 4 pcs of optical media. Not the best method but works for me so far.

My ideal will of course be to have a internal RAID 5 setup and an external RAID 5 box and a RAID 1 box. DVD and CDs will still be used as a form of backup. With the low prices of CF cards, I was actually thinking of buying large capacity CF cards (Transcend 32gb costs about S$160) and back up all my keepers there. Most prob only the RAW files since PSDs take up too much space. CF cards or SD cards will surpass any HDDs or optical media in terms of longevity and with the IT show coming, I am sure going to get a few CF cards to do this form of backup. :smile:

P.S: Never ever throw out the RAW files. These are your digital negatives! Keep them.

Cheers

Han

sc, luenny, peacefuldove, Han,
    Thanks for all the reply. I have started photography not so long ago and have recently gotten a 250GB hard disk to store all my stuff. Now what I really want is a effective system of storing my images.

peacefuldove, agree that leaving all your eggs in one basket is a bit risky and having a DVD backup is important.

Han, your setup is super safe and quite complex. Copying to internal HDD and external RAID is a very time consuming but effective process not to mention costly too. I have not thought of storing keepers in CF cards before, guess with the falling prices, might be a good option. For now I am still backing up with DVDs.
    Cheers.

Spectator

Richard,

It’s actually not very time-consuming a process. I have Firewire 800 on my Macs and they are real speedy. Backing up usually takes a few mins and even with USB 2.0, it will be only about half an hour (for about 15gb of images).

Do note that DVDs are still not as durable as archival CDs and that DVD+R is more archival than DVD-R. I use Verbatim and Fuji discs for both DVD and CD (MUST be Made In Japan).

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

I still prefer to store the backups in HDDs, and have yet to find a good way to burn DVDs, but Han’s info on durability of DVD+Rs is useful.

I usually backup a copy of the files in another internal HDD, and one more externally. There are programs to dot he copy automatically, while you go for your coffee. It will analyse the directory and copy over the newer files. The program is called SyncbackSE, and it has a feature rich freeware version.

I’m thinking of an external RAID 1 setup.

I have more problems recollecting the post-process I did for a particular image, and so nowadays I’m working on backing up of the Ligthroom files as well.

Cheers,
    PTLee

Spectator

Hmmm PT, you should save the PSDs unflattened. That is what I do now and it is really useful to go back sometimes to make a few additional adjustments. You can always flatten it and resize to whatever you wish later on.

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of Olesen, BjornOlesen, Bjorn
    Spectator

Thanks guys this is really useful …

Regards
    Bjorn :smile:

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Richard,
    I copy 1st my picture to 1 TB internal drive.
    Open the images via Adobe Bridge CS4 and delete all the the crappy ones.
    Then back up on 1 TB external drive.

Rey,
    Thanks, yours is the simplest and most straight forward.

Spectator

Richard,

No offence to Rey but it seems he only has 2 copies which are both connected to the comp. If there was a serious power surge, both hdds can be fried and sold at Sungei Road…. :D . It would be best in this case to at least have another backup (HDDs are so cheap now!) and have that disconnected from the comp once the backup is done. If there is a power failure, at least that one is left alone from the potential damage.

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

I only connect the external HD when I want to back up.
    Power failure history in Singapore is very rare. :nyah nyah:

Spectator

RARE does not mean non-existent… ;) . Singapore has one of the highest rate of lightning strikes in Asia so dun take a chance! :woohoo:

Cheers

Han

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]