• This topic has 2,017 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Dear all,
    I don’t have the habit of doing backup but is considering doing so now. I am thinking of getting an external harddisk for this purpose. Any recommendations in terms of brand and the storage size (250GB?) of the harddisk should I get? My budget is about $200. Tks.

trident

Ant,
    Hard disk are very cheap. I just bought a Hitachi HDD 320GB for $68.
    (This is for my son’s comp.)
    An external HDD casing cost around $25.00 upwards.
    A $200 budget is pretty good for a external HDD backup.
    Go for a 500GB or 1 TB

ptlee
    Spectator

I bought the Western Digital 1TB ext backup HDD for around S$200, it stands on the desktop, looking like a ‘book’, one of those ‘My book’ series. The Essential edition is about S$170 (USB2.0) and the Home Edition is S$195 (USB2.0, Firewire400 & eSATA). I got the latter. Mine comes with auto backup software as well, not sure about the essential edition.

Check this list of features out
    WD My Book editions

I’ve got a 1TB WD HDD (black series for speed) in my system where I keep my working files, and a green series (slower & less power consumption) for mirroring. Not as sophisticated as Han’s, but kiasu enough for me :D

My choice of brands in recent times is 1. WD followed by Seagate & Hitachi.

Cheers,
    PTLee

peacefuldove

i use "buffalo" brand 1 TB…. :oops: :( …..that is what the salesman recommend…he said it is the fastest….thot of getting another one as second backup just for images….

anyway, so far so good…i think :peace:

Another vote for WD MyBook Home Edition. :kudos thumbsup: The backup software is really good.

Cheers,
    SC

Yeo, Wee Han

Anthony,

Very brave of you not to do any form of backing up. :twisted: :o . Frankly, the most basic form of backup will be to have a set of duplicated files onto a RAID 1 setup that can be had for pretty cheap now. WD Mybooks are what I recommend and I have 2 of the World Editions (FW800) and they have worked superbly. The software as SC has mentioned is really easy to use and once it is raided, you can just drop files in and let the backing take place itself.

WD Hdds are what I use most of the time. They come in either Black or Green versions and the latter is cheaper but problems have been reported with the regular "powering down" of the HDD when its not active. That reduces the lifespan of the disk dramatically and I use them only for backing up purposes (after which they are shut down). The Blacks that I have are internals and are working hard esp if I am working on videos. They work fine for me.

Cheers

Han

Richard, PTLee, Peacefuldove, SC, Han,
    I didn’t know that the price for external hardisk has dropped so much. I actually thought that $200 could only buy a 320GB. Thanks for your recommendations. I will certainly check these out.

Han – I didn’t do backup for 2 simple reasons: 1. I’m lazy and find it too troublesome to backup :twisted:, 2. I don’t intend to do large size printing as my pictures are not good enough. So even if my files in my harddisk are all gone, I can still refer to my flickr & NPSS copies ;)

Yeo, Wee Han

Anthony,

Your images are definitely keepers esp your Forest Damsels! :kow tow: :kow tow: The copies on Flickr and this site are only low-res copies and not the high res stuff you need! And we will definitely some of your stuff for future exhibits so please backup! :applause:

Cheers

Han

Han,
    I am really glad to hear that :smile: And thanks for your encouragement. I will start backing up soon. Went to a computer shop at hougang shopping centre near my workplace today and they quoted me $118 for 320GB & $188 for 500GB. They only carry Fujitsu and another brand that I forgot. Quite expensive compared to Hitachi & WD that you guys recommended. Will check out these brands at other shops soon.

ptlee
    Spectator

For a good indication of the price, check out the SLS price list

Priceguide

Cheers,
    PTLee

Yeo, Wee Han

Hi Anthony,

As PT has recommended, SLS pricelist is the way to go. I usually head for Fuwell and Bell for their good pricing. Neighbourhood shops are usually more expensive.

Cheers

Han

Finally bought a WD 1TB Home Edition at Fuwell which offered the better price at $205. Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions. OK, got to do my backup now ……

Yeo, Wee Han

Anthony,

Great! If you have less than 450GB worth of data to backup, I would rec setting the entire drive to RAID 1. The WD package should come with the software to enable this.

Cheers

Han

tanhb
    Spectator

Hi Han,
    I don’t feel safe using RAID as a form of backup. Especially if situation like this happened.
    http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Quack%20Summer%2009.pdf

I preferred to switch off my backup hard disk once done and keep it under my pillow for safe keeping. :D

ptlee
    Spectator

I have to agree regarding the cautious use of RAID, especially if you’re not familiar with it. The article has a good point, and RAID is probably more useful if you have a server system that reports potential hard disk problems, as well as periodic / daily backup of the system. RAID is more for high availability in a live system (server), rather than a backup, there is a difference between the two, HA & backup.

I prefer to have a straight copy of files across, using the mybook software, as well as a script that runs on demand or on schedule to copy to another hard disk. I typically use SyncBack Freeware there’s a free version (scroll down the page) :peace: , which is more than sufficient.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,
    PTLee

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]