• This topic has 2,017 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Yeo, Wee Han

Yes Hwee Boon, I read about Ej’s issues when he posted in the forum. The prob is it was a RAID 5 and any hdd that goes bonkers need to be rebuilt. RAID 1 is diff, you have 2 physical copies in both hdds so no rebuilding of data is needed. He also mentioned in his posting that if he had gone the RAID 1 route, he would not have this much of a headache.

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152496&hilit=raid+1+surge

Of course, having a UPS and a surge protector will be great and advisable. I have been using the surge protectors for years and no issues. UPS….still thinking but will be needed sooner or later as a prevention.

Cheers

Han

Anthony,

Great! If you have less than 450GB worth of data to backup, I would rec setting the entire drive to RAID 1. The WD package should come with the software to enable this.

Cheers

Han

Han, I started shooting macro about 2 years ago and I just kept all my image files in my desktop computer (250gb). As it grew bigger, I began storing the rest in my notebook (320Gb) which also reached it maximum capacity recently. That was actually the main reason why I decided to get a 1TB external disk hoping to act as a backup of all my RAW files and allowing me to delete those really scappy ones in my destop and notebook to free some space there. So, for the time being, I was thinking of adopting the easy approach of just straight copying of files over like PTLee does. I am still not familiar with RAID method and I’d readup to understand more. Thanks for your suggestion :smile:

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]