• This topic has 1,039 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Sharing here are some freshwater shrimps taken from aquarium tanks… C & C are welcome!

1. Caridina temasek– an endangered species in Singapore, so far only found from on3 location. The collection is limited for scientific purpose. I am glad to have this opportunity to take a record shot. FL 180mm, extension tube, 1/60sec-F/14, ISO 800, Aperture Priority, Tripod, MLU, built-in+2 remote flashes, Sime Road forest in Central Catchment Nature Reserve, Singapore, 3 Dec 2008.

2. Caridina sp1– This species was only found in Malili lakes system of the Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. It is a new species still in the process of being described. When I saw these shrimps from aquarium shop in Singapore, I had a mix feeling. On one hand, it’s really a nice photogenic shrimp to be kept. One the other hand, I am really worry about the trading may cause over-collection and threat the population there if effective management measures do not apply locally. FL 180mm, 1/125sec-F/18, ISO 400, Aperture Priority, Tripod, MLU, built-in+2 remote flashes, purchased from Aquarium Shop in Singapore, originated from Sulawesi, Indonesia, 3 Dec 2008.

3. Caridina sp2–Another new species from Sulawesi being described now. FL 180mm, 1/40sec-F/16, ISO 400, Aperture Priority, Tripod, MLU, built-in+2 remote flashes, purchased from Aquarium Shop in Singapore, originated from Sulawesi, Indonesia, 3 Dec 2008

Cheers!
    Yixiong
    DSC_8913Arnpss.JPG
    DSC_8954Arnpss.JPG
    DSC_9044Arnpss.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

YX,
    Nice collections of Shrimps.
    Good to see some wide variety of new subjects posted here.
    Is #1 carrying eggs?

YX,
    Nice collections of Shrimps.
    Good to see some wide variety of new subjects posted here.
    Is #1 carrying eggs?

Thanks, Rey!
    Yes. The larvae are going to hatch out soon…

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Yi Xiong,

Thanks for sharing these images and information. Is #1 endemic to Singapore? I know AVA is controlling pet trade in Singapore, are shrimps within the scope of the wildlife acts?

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Nice ones Yixiong! The exposure and lighting works for me. The only shrimps I know are Cherry, Crystal Red and Yamato, Malayan and Glass…so yes, this is indeed an eye-opener for me!

Cheers

Han

Yi Xiong,

Thanks for sharing these images and information. Is #1 endemic to Singapore? I know AVA is controlling pet trade in Singapore, are shrimps within the scope of the wildlife acts?

Cheers,
    SC

Thanks, SC! Caridina temasek is actually distributed in wider range, from southern Thailand to East Kalimantan, but in Singapore, it can only be found from one location. That makes us worry about their conservation status. Now, we are looking into the genetic difference between populations from Singapore and Malaysia, so that we could have better understanding of their conservation status. The species was listed under Red Data Book of Singapore, and protected by Wildlife Acts.

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Nice ones Yixiong! The exposure and lighting works for me. The only shrimps I know are Cherry, Crystal Red and Yamato, Malayan and Glass…so yes, this is indeed an eye-opener for me!

Cheers

Han

Thank for the comment, Han!

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Hi YiXiong,

Nice collection of shrimp, especially #2. I share your concern that it may be over-collected :roll:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

YX, the no 2 shrimp is very pretty.

Profile photo of Tan, Chuan YeanTan, Chuan Yean
    Spectator

#2 is very nice and colourful!

Darren, Con & Chuan Yean,

Many thanks for the encouraging comment, and support!

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Hi YX,
    Nice shrimps. The sulawesi shrimps is very nice and colorful. Too bad they’re so small that you need to go really close to the aquarium to see them. They’re new to the aquarium world and still a tad expensive.

Hi YX,
    Nice shrimps. The sulawesi shrimps is very nice and colorful. Too bad they’re so small that you need to go really close to the aquarium to see them. They’re new to the aquarium world and still a tad expensive.

Thanks, Wei Luen!

Yes. They are also very difficult to keep as the living environment in the field is so different from other freshwater habitats.

Yixiong

Profile photo of tridenttrident

YX,
    Nice shrimp pictures, #2 is very beautiful.
    I have yet to try keeping sulawesi as they are more difficult to keep.

YX,
    Nice shrimp pictures, #2 is very beautiful.
    I have yet to try keeping sulawesi as they are more difficult to keep.

Thanks, Richard!

To keep these shrimps, you need to keep changing the water and keep the water cool. Water quality requirement is very high for them.

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]