• This topic has 1,049 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

I am amazed by the quality of video produced by Han. I particularly like the scene where the white bird flew away from the fisherman and continue across the lake. The lighting in the video and the audio are very well processed. Well Done, Han. :kudos thumbsup: Have lots to learn from you and looking forward to your article!

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi
    Very nice. Looks like video processing is the next thing to learn :)

Cheers
    Loong Tat

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Wow… that’s a nice piece of video.
    Well done Han.
    Thanks SC for the link.

Excellent video – cant play the sound though as i am in the library . but images are superb!
    Han
    how did u manage to take all these shots without them noticing you? i guess except that man, who quickly tidied his hair as he walked pass by… :)

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

Very nice video.
    Make me want to try video.

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Thanks SC, Loong Tat, Rey, PP and Hwee Boon,

Video is a very good tool for photographers esp birders! You can shoot at 50p (which is twice the number of frames of normal playback) and you can do slow motion (50%) and observe the subject’s behaviour. :D

My dream setup for a high speed cam will take generations to pay the installment. :D But shooting at 4000 fps to 10kfps per second will literally freeze the water droplets when the kingfishers bashes the fish against the branch. :woohoo: :worried:

PP,

Erm….I just look somewhere if they happen to look over at my cam and just tilt up a little or pan off a little :oops: . For some of the shots, I do ask their permission and they are more than glad to oblige. But more often than not, my unfriendly face turns ppl away from the cam. :ashamed:

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Nice one Han. As usual, your control and editing is something we look up to.

Hey, Han. I think I know someone who sells those high speed cams, gee, those kinds of prices… you’ve got to be kidding about getting one, no? He showed me super smooth slow mo video of Tiger Woods hitting a ball, impressive.

Cheers,
    PTLee

Profile photo of EndyEndy

Way to go Mr. President!

A good job Well done!

Regards,

Endy

Profile photo of Olesen, BjornOlesen, Bjorn
    Spectator

Very impressive …..
    :applause:

Bjorn

Really impressive :kow tow: :kow tow: :kow tow: , and wish to learn some very very basic ones…Where could we start with, Han? Any suggestion?

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Profile photo of LucidaLucida
    Spectator

I want to learn too! Maybe NPSS can start a course on Nature Video! :D
    I will be the first one to enrol!!! :woohoo:

cheers
    pegi

Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi Han
    What about it? With all the cameras now coming with a video function, NPSS can take the first bold move to conduct a Nature Video Basic Course. I will join Pegi in the queue :)

Cheers
    Loong Tat

Spectator

" Han shivers at the thought of conducting a solo course….." :D :D

Thanks alot guys for the "arrow" :D :twisted: To be honest, the 5D2,7D and 1DM4 shooters will have almost all the tools needed. The lenses are there and tripods are good. The 7D and M4 are going to be superior bodies for nature filmmaking as they have the highly sought after higher framerates of 50p which allows the shooter to do solid slow motion in editing. Macro shooters will need to spend much more dough.

BUT the Wimberley head will not be good for filming as most of the time as you will need to be making minute adjustments to the composition and panning or tilting along with the subject’s movement. Thus a fluid head is needed and I will be straining alot of marriages by suggesting this: :D

http://www.vinten.com/product/vision-5a … -tilt-head

http://www.expandore.biz/product_detail … ll&start=1

The Vision 5 is the new model and I am using the version in the 2nd link (Vision 6). There are the tougher Sacthler heads but they are very expensive and the counterbalance feature is lacking. Miller is another brand but not that value for money though BBC used them extensively in Antartica.

Of course there will be cheaper alternatives such as those by Manfrotto but video is the opposite of stills and every tiny bit of motion is obvious since you are in continuous recording. Thus a good solid support is even more important here.

For those who have got the approval from their financial advisors can always meet me and try out the Vinten head….and beware, once you do it, you may throw the Wimberley out. :twisted: and you will realise why German nature photographers are going crazy for these heads instead of the Gimbals.

P.S: I will definitely try and arrange something for next year but stay tuned for the next article that will have a video coming with it. :)

Cheers

Han

Spectator

Left out the Nikon users in the previous post…my advice? Switch to Canon! :D :D

The Nikons are working with much more ancient codec that is not as efficient as the Canons. That said, they should be perfectly fine and editing them will be a similar task. I hope to get a Nikon DVSLR soon and work out the process before I throw up further comments. :peace:

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

Hi Han,

May I ask a stupid question? :oops: What is the benefit of using a camera like 7D, 5D2 etc to take video instead of using a proper video cam? Is it because a good video cam will cost a lot more? I always thought those built-in video function on still cameras are for ‘play play’ only? May be I am wrong. :?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]