• This topic has 2,383 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rajabrookerajabrooke
    Spectator

Sighted this perfect Homo Sapien specimen equipped with sophisticated optical instrument today. See image below. 2 Questions:
    1. Need ID for this specimen.
    2. What is this intelligent life form using the super elongated optical instrument for? Any guesses?

:cheers:
    Les
    _DSC6604_s1_Print.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

sorry can’t help with the id. :twisted:

Les,

This is funny. :D Is this endemics to Singapore or an escapee? :twisted:

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi
    Definitely an escapee!! :D

Loong Tat

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

I see a Gitzo 3 series aluminium tripod, a Arca Swiss ballhead, a Nikon film camera…the only thing unknown is the Nikon glass….What else is there??? :twisted: :P

Han

Profile photo of EndyEndy

Wah Lester!

You are one lucky guy indeed!
    I think you have stumbled on a Rare Humanoid Subspecies from Planet Earth.
    The scientific identification should be "Secretaryus Endyensis" :D
    This particular species has a great passion for plants therefore he might be taking pictures of a beautiful flora.

Good sighting! ;)

Endy

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Wow…. very good find and you are really fortunate to get a shot of this species. :cheers:
    Hmmmm….the way I see it, looks like an "Endangered Species" or maybe a very "Dangerous Species". :nyah nyah: Think it may be the last. :P

The scientific identification should be "Secretaryus Endyensis" :D

Ha ha…very ‘creative’! :D :D

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

This is introduced species from Indonesia. Not native here. :D :D :D

Wonderful capture of a rare speices. Subject is sharp with great details. But to be highly critical, I find the white on the head region and thorax a little over. I would prefer the eyes to be at least half-open instead of close now.

With regard to the id, it does look a little like the "Secretaryus Endyensis" but I am not too sure. I would need a close-up view of the appendages to confirm.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope you don’t mind ;)

Profile photo of rajabrookerajabrooke
    Spectator

From the contributions of my learned friends, the following facts have been established:
    1. Specimen ID possibly: "Secretaryus Endyensis"
    2. Origin: Specimen is an endangered escapee on verge of extinction, possibly from a nearby island south of Singapore.
    3. Favourite Habitat: Frequently spotted capturing prey at Secondary Forest/Lallang undergrowth areas.
    4. Nesting site & mating rituals: Unknown. No female form and nestlings observed.
    5. Feeding Habits: Specimen could be nectar feeder as usually found close to bright colored scented flowers. Refer image below.

Further info and insight into specimen welcome. :D :D :D

:cheers:
    Les
    _DSC6706_s3_Print_srgb.jpg

Attachments:
    Profile photo of EndyEndy

To answer Han’s question:

..the only thing unknown is the Nikon glass….

From a very reliable source : the optical equipment is a Nikkor ED 600mm 1:5.6 AIs Manual Lens.

Regards,

Endy

I need to buy another guide book, can you tell me which guide book can ID this species? Hopefully the member discount at Nature Niche will include this guide. Googled Secretaryus Endyensis, but nothing turn out. Looks like we need to contribute to wikipedia of this new found species. :twisted:

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

I need to buy another guide book, can you tell me which guide book can ID this species? Hopefully the member discount at Nature Niche will include this guide. Googled Secretaryus Endyensis, but nothing turn out. Looks like we need to contribute to wikipedia of this new found species. :twisted:

Cheers,
    SC

Breaking news:This rare species was sighted at SBG plant house this morning! :worried: :worried: :worried: :P

Profile photo of NatureTTLNatureTTL

More sightings…

I was lucky to spot the same species possibly the "Secretaryus Endyensis" in the north eastern part of Singapore.
    Good to know that this endangered escapee on verge of extinction is surviving and adapted very well here in this small island.
    This sighting further confirmed that one of it’s favourite Habitat was lallang undergrowth areas.
    However, no feeding behaviour was observed this time.
    Not sure is it the same individual species as spot earlier by Les and Darren, as this time round it displayed a form of blue colour canopy over its head.
    I think is to shelter itself from the hot afternoon sun.

Very interesting, unique and highly intelligent species…

Cheers..
    Allan
    P7113672A.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]