• This topic has 1,361 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

Hi all,

As a freelance photographer, I frequently have to burn the jpeg image files onto

DVD (using Windows Vista) for my clients. But when my client who uses Apple Mac computer tries to

open the jpeg files on the discs, they cannot be opened, due to some compatibility issue?

Any advice as to how to enable the files to be opened in Mac?

Thanks a zillion in advance for any advice and help!

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

theorectically it should work if you don’t add frills like slide shows etc, just straight files in a simple folder name. I don’t own a mac, though. Han could help.

But perhaps you can try picasa to do the burning to try out? It’s a pretty cool free software from google, I use it to burn discs for various people of different tech know-how.

http://picasa.google.com/

Cheers,
    PTLee

Darren,

JPG save in media (DVD, CD, Thumbdrive, HDD, etc) should work on Mac. I am using both and I have no problem. Phek Thong is correct, the slideshow saved by some software, e.g. ACDSEE with exe file type, will not work on Mac.

Cheers,
    SC

Darren,

Forgot to mention, to do a slideshow for both Window and Mac I will suggest to do them into a video format such as quicktime or MPEG or flash format so that it can be viewed by both camps.

Cheers,
    SC

hi SC,PT,thanks for the advice thus far. :smile:

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Darren,

Not a slideshow right? It should work just fine. Is there an option "for Mac and Windows" in your burning software? I have it in Toast Titanium (mac version) and its checked by default. But frankly if it was just plain data, I would think there should not be any issue.

For a slideshow, I use Proshow Gold (Windows) and it works a charm. On my Mac, I just use Final Cut Pro which is my video editing software. Whatever it is, output as a Quicktime movie and it will work fine on both platforms.

Cheers

Han

thanks Han for offering me some solutions…good for me to know….

I think the incompatibility with Apple could be due to the file FORMAT one chooses when one burns the data onto the dvd. There is a "Mastered" format and there is a "Live File System" format (which itself is divided into various versions that can be chosen at the point of data burning)…see below screen capture.

live file system when burning dvd.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Spectator

Darren,

No problem. What software are you using for the burning?

Cheers

Han

Darren,

No problem. What software are you using for the burning?

Cheers

Han

the built-in burning facility that comes with Win Vista.

Spectator

Ok Darren. I have a unexplored Vista laptop at home so I will burn a disc and try to read it on my mac. If it works, I will post the settings I used. If it doesn’t….I will remain silent…. :ashamed:

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of PixarPixar
    Spectator

Hi Darren,

I would think this is Vista in-build burner issue. You can try using another software to burner DVD. There are many free burner available in the web, just google "free DVD burner".

hi Alvic,
    Thanks for the pointer!:)

Ok Darren. I have a unexplored Vista laptop at home so I will burn a disc and try to read it on my mac. If it works, I will post the settings I used. If it doesn’t….I will remain silent…. :ashamed:

Cheers

Han

ok good idea Han…thanks and hope I hear a result! :)

Darren,

I think you are right about Mastered File System and Live File System Format, see this short article:
    http://conradc.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/cannot-read-cd-or-dvd-from-windows-vista/

Cheers,
    SC

Darren,

I think you are right about Mastered File System and Live File System Format, see this short article:
    http://conradc.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/cannot-read-cd-or-dvd-from-windows-vista/

Cheers,
    SC

thanks SC. Your article hit the nail on the head, so to speak. i will e-mail the link to a few concerned parties!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]