• This topic has 454 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

A few of us spent our Christmas and New Year up north. Other than nature photography, we also did some "Beyond Nature" photography.

On the "original" last day of the trip, we went to seven well waterfalls as we had a tip from our boatman that there are hornbills there, true enough the hornbill was really close, and I think Hwee Boon even snap a photo just with the mobile phone camera. :twisted:, who need long lens for hornbill. :P

At the entrance, we saw a few kids sliding down a steep slope by sitting on plastic bottle. They really had a lot of fun and I had quite a bit of fun shooting them as well. Unfortunately it was around noon and the light was harsh. They really remind me of my younger days where there was no ipod or computer games to keep me occupy at home, but I had lots of fun creating my own toys and games. Here are a couple of photos to share:

Here is how his back look like: :D :D

Cheers,
    SC
    091230_DPP07DA010E152106.jpg
    091230_DPP07DA010E152436.jpg
    091230_DPP07DA010E152838.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

well captured action. I think the jeans is fast wearing off.

Profile photo of LucidaLucida
    Spectator

SC,
    tks for sharing. the kids sure are innovative! plastic bottle! i can never thought of using it as a skate board haa! :D
    i find it very difficult to photograph kids playing, they r constantly on the move!now u see them now u dont! :x
    Did you use the 7D to shoot these pics? Izzit advisable to enable all the 19 AF function? Did u engage a continously shooting mode? Sry for the many queries, want to learn how to shoot people as well! :twisted:

cheers
    pegi

Hi Pegi,

These were taken with 1DMKII :), but I am very sure 7D can do the same if not better. I was going to shoot the waterfall and thought using a 1.3x camera will be better, but the falls was not as good as I thought (or we went to the wrong place :? ).

On shooting, yes, I use center point focus on AI servo. The kids were quite ok with the camera, they went about playing with each other while I was photographing them. I am really bad in shooting people (that’s what my wife told me :D ). Personally, I think anticipating what the kids going to do next is probably one of the keys to photographing them playing. Shooting birds in action also helps a lot in reflexes, so join the birder camp. :kudos thumbsup: :kudos thumbsup: :D :D :D

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of LucidaLucida
    Spectator

SC,
    tks for the tips! now that u mentioned, yah, shooting birds and kids are equally difficult!!! from the couple birding outing that i’ve joined with NPSS, i was totally at loss wat/whr to shoot. a typical scenario will be…all of us will set up our gears and wait faithfully and quietly somewhere in the midst of the forest, keeping our voices low just in case we scared the birds away. Admist the quiet atmosphere we can hear the mosquitoes darting around us, enjoying their sumptous meal. Then suddenly!!!! everyone start firing vigorously with their shutter release! :o :o :o i have to strain my eyes and follow the direction where the flashes are aiming to realise wat the commotion was about! :D Then i karang kabok, fumble with my cam to capture the subject, but i can never get the subject whole in my frame, or if i got it whole, its blurred! :cry: that much said about my reflexes!!! :D

cheers
    pegi

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

Hi SC,

You should ask your two daughters to join in the fun. :twisted:

true enough the hornbill was really close, and I think Hwee Boon even snap a photo just with the mobile phone camera. :twisted:, who need long lens for hornbill. :P

Ya, I still could not figure out the ID of this new hornbill. The picture is still in my handphone. :P

oh, did you forgot some "ahem…ahemmm…" for some eye contact?? :P Nice panning shot! Beautiful moments captured – #2 is excellent reflexes of the kids and the photographer :kow tow: (surely this time it has nothing to do with the equipment :twisted: ). It was joyful watching them & seeing their satisfaction when they complete a long slide down….am a little worried about their bottoms though :D .

Ya, I still could not figure out the ID of this new hornbill. The picture is still in my handphone. :P

HB, I recommend :twisted: you post it on the nature sightings section – maybe someone might help you figure out the ID :nyah nyah: (well, provided the moderators didnt kick you out first… :D )

One more to share:

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

On our way to the waterfalls, we were greeted by a group of monkeys. Some of the tourists were scared by the monkey and drop their food on the ground while running away. In this instance, someone drop an ice-cream and the monkey had that to relief the mid-afternoon heat:

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

Here are the partners in crime:

This photo was taken at the highest point of Langkawi – Gunung Raya. Thanks Hwee Boon for the afternoon tea. :cheers:

Cheers,
    SC
    091230_DPP07DA010F133555.jpg
    091230_DPP07DA010F140231.jpg
    091230_DPP07DA010F133945.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

the kid in #4 shot is the clear testimony of how much fun they had that afternoon! Very well panned! :kudos thumbsup:

the monkey shot is funny! would qualify for some fun contest images! :D

Thanks for the group photo! The drive up was sure challenging esp on a proton 1.3!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]