• This topic has 1,283 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ncteoTeo, Ngee Chye
    Spectator

Hi,

I’ve been joining some of the micro outing and seen some complicated micro setup.
    I am interested but need some advice on which essential item to improve on my micro setup.
    Presently I’ve
    1)Gitzo G2220
    2)Markins Ball Head
    3)Tamron 90mm Micro lens
    4)Speedlite 550EX
    5)Shutter Release
    6)External socket cable for flash

Regards,
    Ngee Chye

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

1)Gitzo G2220
    2)Markins Ball Head
    3)Tamron 90mm Micro lens
    4)Speedlite 550EX
    5)Shutter Release
    6)External socket cable for flash
    7)Wimberley plamp
    8) Wimberley macro flash bracket
    9) 1.4 Teleconvertor
    10) Extension tubes set

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Ngee Chye,

Glad to see your posting here. Frankly speaking, you have almost all it takes to get good macro shots. What you are lacking is a off-camera cable for your flash (Canon has the OC-E3 which will be what you want). http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 … _Shoe.html

This cable will allow you to get the flash off the camera and let you be more creative with your lighting. It also solves the issue of "wasted light" as a hotshoe mounted flash will be firing "over the subject" especially so at minimum focusing distances. The cable will thus allow you to get the flash off the hotshoe and direct the light where you want it.

The macro bracket you want is the Wimberley F2 macro bracket. You can either purchase it online at http://www.tripodhead.com or at Cathay Photo. The bracket will support your flash unit, freeing your hands for controlling the remote release while the other is busy with the focusing of the lens.

These 2 items are really all you need now though teleconverters and extension tubes as Darren has suggested are good to have as well.

Getting up early before the sun rises and shooting within the limitations of your equipment will see to much of your improvement. Of course, you should be posting your images as regularly as you can….the critiques here are some of the best you can get anywhere online.

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of ncteoTeo, Ngee Chye
    Spectator

Han,

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
    Ngee Chye

Hi Ngee Chye,

Han and Darren already gave great advice. One more thing I will add is a diffuser for your flash. Some use tissue paper as diffuser :D, some have great DIY diffuser and of course you can buy ready made diffuser (e.g. Omnibounce).

Cheers,
    SC

Spectator

Hmmm….from my experience, the Omnibounce is the greatest piece of eqpt that is not used properly. No offence here SC but it does not diffuse the light in anyway (maybe the shadows will be a TAD soft-edged). The only thing it does well is to spread the light over a larger area and have your flash highlights as larger blobs rather than point sources.

A diffused light will have a effective light source larger than that of a OB and the OB does not make the light source any larger. I use Wimberley packaging for that purpose as it effectively increases the light source to twice the size of a flash head.

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

good to know that its a misnomer to call stofen caps "diffuser" ;)

Spectator

Very true Darren. The OB was first invented to allow indoor photographers (who bounce their flashes alot) to have the light bouncing everywhere. It mimics a barebulb flash and thus it does spread the light wider than a normal flash will. Nikon users using the older Auto flashes had to tilt the OB 45 deg as it affected the sensor’s reading (due to the light spill).

When it first came out, it was the craze of almost 99% of the news photographers who went outdoors with them and shot them straight on. Few years later, non of them had them. It works but it was never meant to be used outdoors or create a softer light.

If it were to create a softer light, Lumiquest, Photoflex and Chimera will be out of business. ;)

Cheers

Han

OK, my bad for suggesting OB :mrgreen:, but what I am trying to get at is a diffuser will be necessary. :P

Cheers,
    SC

Spectator

No prob at all SC. 8-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]