• This topic has 1,529 voices and 52 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of adminadmin
    Spectator

Dear Paid Member,

We will be holding a Nature Photography Exhibition at Wheelock Place, Orchard Road in mid February. We are calling for entries from all Paid Members. There will be 18 to 20 of A2 and/or A3 size photos exhibited from February to end of March. If you are interested to have your photo selected for the exhibition, please post no more than 3 images here in this thread.

Here are the required information for your submission:

1) EXIF information (Camera & lens used, exposure setting)
    2) A title and a brief description about the image, which may include, but not limited to, species name, location, any special and/or interesting information about the image.
    3) Submission deadline will be Friday, January 23. (sorry for the short notice, we are working on short deadline)

If your image is selected for the exhibition, the committee will contact you for high resolution image for printing.

Hope to see your submission soon.

Thank you.

NPSS Admin

Here are my entries:

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM
    #1 Title : Blue Tailed Bee-Eater
    Description : There are 2 species of Bee-Eater in Singapore – Blue Throated Bee-Eater and Blue Tailed Bee Eater. Blue Tailed Bee-Eaters are migratory and spend their winter here from August to March. Their diet include bee, dragonfly, grasshopper and butterfly.

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM
    #2 Title : Rufous-backed Kingfisher
    Description : Rufous-backed Kingfisher is not commonly seen and can only be found in the low land forest. This species build their nest at the river bank and their diet include fish, crab, insects and lizard.

#3 Title : Breakfast
    Description : Common Kingfisher is a winter visitor here each year. Managed to capture this Female Common Kingfisher at Japanese Garden in an early morning. It was her first dive into the lake that morning and managed to catch a fish as breakfast.

Cheers,
    SC
    IMG_8054.jpg
    IMG_0778-(1).jpg
    DPP07D80A130D3839.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Tan, Chuan YeanTan, Chuan Yean
    Spectator

Here are mine:

Species: Pond Skater or Water Strider
    Title: Pond skater with Prey
    EXIF: Panasonic Lumix FZ30 with Nikon 6T close-up filters. ISO80, F11, 1/30s, 2 diffused flash, handheld
    Taken at Toa Payoh Town Park, Singapore

Pond skaters are fascinating insects to watch as they are able to walk on the water surface and move around. This is possible due to their water-repellent cuticle (outer covering of the insect), that allows their legs to push down onto the water surface rather than sinking into it, and also due to the high surface tension of water. They walk very fast and feast on dead or drowning insects. They have a rostrum that will pierce into the prey (as seen in the picture). Saliva is injected and enzymes will digest the prey’s tissue and the pond skater will suck up the digested contents.

This Pond skater was taken at Toa Payoh Town Park, and as the pond was just next to the grass patch, I could bring the camera just above the water to take this shot. I was not aware it had a prey until I post-processed it. Due to the low angle, I was able to capture the reflection of the plants in the water. The plants had some reddish and yellowish colours so it added an interesting element to it.

Species: Heavy Jumper Hyllus diardi (Walckanaer) 1837
    Title: Whats up?
    EXIF: Panasonic Lumix FZ30 with Raynox 250 close-up filter. ISO80, F11, 1/30s, 2 diffused flash, handheld
    Taken at Pulau Redang, Malaysia

Jumping Spiders (Salticidae) are the largest family of all spiders. They have excellent vision and is able to detect preys afar and position themselves to attack the prey. This particular Jumping Spider is the Heavy Jumper, with its characteristic 2 "horns" on the head. Its a efficient hunter and preys on alot of other insects. This spider was taken at Redang, during my holidays and it was moving along among the bushes. I had to consistently move my camera around to ensure my camera plane was parallel to its face and legs to get a good Depth-of-field on this moving spider. I also had to control my 2 non-TTL flashes in-order not to overexpose the whites. Its a beautiful creature and I enjoy taking them.

Title: Crystal Ball Gazing
    EXIF: Panasonic Lumix FZ30 with Raynox 250 close-up filter. ISO80, F11, 1/30s, 2 diffused flash, handheld
    Taken at Venus Drive, Singapore

This was taken at Venus Drive. Found this ant staring at this drop of water. Frankly, I don’t know what it is doing, but it sure makes a nice shot! Had to ensure both the water drop and the ant remained in the depth-of-field.

Profile photo of ong_wsong_ws

Here is mine,
    not too sure if its up to standard, but just contribute ;)

EXIF Info : Nikon D300+T180mm, F11, 1/30sec, ISO200, FEV-1.7ev

Title : Nature’s Love
    Damselfly, smaller in size as compare to a Dragonfly. Interesting thing about then is that a pair of mating
    damselfly will give an interesting Heart Fomation.
    Damselfly-Mating_0456_11.jpg

Attachments:
    Profile photo of steplimsteplim

Below are my contributions.

pic# 1 : Brown-Headed Gulls are migratory birds where thousands of them migrated from as far as Tibet or Siberia to Bangpoo, Bangkok.

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

pic#2 : Pond Heron.
    These are beautiful birds and migrated to Bangpoo as well. Captured these near a rice field in Bangpoo.

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

pic#3 : Golden Sunset.
    This was taken during the bird outing at Bangpoo as many are busy taking pictures of Gulls. Just fnd this beatiful nature sight easily forgotten.

20081223_5231_Seagull_151kb.jpg
    20081223_5010_BrownCrane_170kb.jpg
    20081223_5420_Golden_sunset_Portrait_170kb.jpg

Attachments:
    Profile photo of bluekitebluekite

Title: Sunset at Bukit Timah Hill, Singapore

It was taken from 22nd floor of an HDB flat at Clementi area, December 2008 evening. I used 2 images to stitch together. The 2 transmission towers, only the one at Bukit Batok is clearly seen at central left.

Canon EOS 5D mkII, EF24-105mm f/4L, 1/160s, f/11, iso1000, handheld.

(original file: 62mb tif, dimension: 7297×2972 pixels)

Cheers,
    Kt
    sunset-BT-Hillp.jpg

Attachments:
    Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Ok, here’s mine. Confidence level not very high with so many sifus here but I thought I give it a try anyway.

Title: Brown-legged spiders
    EXIF: D200, 180mm, ISO 320, f.14.0, 1/40, EC +0.7, FEC -0.7 (Stack 4 images)
    Description: Brown-legged spiders (Neoscona rufofemorata) belongs to the family Araneidae or more commonly known as orb-web spiders. They, as their name implies, spins webs of silk that looks like an orb to trap their prey. And being nocturnal, they often spin a new web every night. When the day approaches, they eat their web – so to conserve silk – and often hides in leaves.

Title: Two-tailed spider with prey
    EXIF: D200, 180mm, ISO 250, f16.0, 3s, EC -0.3, FEC -1.7 (stack 7 pictures)
    Description: Two-tailed spider (Hersilia sp.) lives on tree trunks that matches their body color. When resting, they flatten their body against the tree trunk and blends in perfectly with the tree casting little or no shadow. They have 2 long spinnerets that looks like tails that give them their name. These are used to immobilize prey by spreading silk while running around and jumping over the prey.

Title: Symbiosis
    EXIF: D200, 180mm + 2xTC, ISO 500, f 14.0, 1/50, EC +0.7, FEC -0.3
    Description: Mealybugs – like aphids – are sap suckers that produce honeydew. The honeydew attracts ants which protect them from their natural predators. The ants may also bring them to places which they think has more honeydew. To induce the mealybugs to produce honeydew, the ants stroke them with their antennae as if they were milking the bugs.

Profile photo of NatureTTLNatureTTL

Here are my entries:

Pic 1 – Common Birdwing Caterpillar (Troides helena cerberus)

The Common Birdwing is the largest species of the Papilionidae family found in Singapore and it is an endanger species and protected under CITES. This one which displays a pair of orange processes at the head is called osmeterium, and is extended whenever the cat is alarmed. It also oozes out a red liquid that appears threatening. However, the osmeterium and the liquid is harmless (at least to humans!)
    SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

Pic 2 – Backlit

I think photography is about painting with light. This young leaves have caught my attention when I was walking along one of the forest track at Venus Drive. The patterns and hairy details of the leaves becomes obvious under the light and through the lens.
    SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

Pic 3 – Team Work

Weaver ants (Oecophylla longinoda) are eusocial insects of the family Formicidae (order Hymenoptera).
    They are not only known for their remarkable cooperative behaviour used in nest construction but also their collaborative work in attacking a larger insect. Spotted this particular predators & prey actions at Pulau Ubin during one of the NPSS outing.

Cheers..
    Allan
    P3085790A.jpg
    PC314805C.jpg
    P1262905A.jpg

Attachments:

Will supply EXIF and description later.
    Flameback, Common (male) N32_0783.NPS.jpg
    Fruit-Dove, Rose-crowned D32_7890.pbase.jpg
    Kingfisher, Oriental-Dwarf D32_0985b.NPS.jpg

Attachments:
    Profile photo of sherwoeisherwoei

1. Puddling Tailed Jay
    Butterflies are often encountered with their proboscis unfurled and probing into the ground to take in water and nutrients. At the muddy or sandy puddle (often tainted with animal urine or excreta), the butterfly sips water rich in mineral salts and other essential nutrients (mostly sodium chloride and nitrogen-rich solutions) that have leached from the surrounding soil and rocks. Male butterflies do more puddling than females.

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

2. Sway (Long Banded Silverlines)
    The Long Banded Silverlines belong to the genus Spindasis. The butterflies are distinguished by the silvery markings on the undersides and the hindwings possess two tails.

_DSC8683ppweb.jpg
    DSC_0407ppweb.jpg

Attachments:

1. Bird drop crab spider (Cyrtarachne bufo, female):
    The mimicry ability of this crab spider to a fresh bird-drop is amazing! Such camouflage has resulted in a better survival rate for the spider. NK D200, FL 180mm, 1/6s-F/22, ISO 400, Manual, fill flash, m -1.7ev, r -1.3ev, MLU, tripod. Venus Drive, Singapore, 4 Jan 2009.

2. Western Australia Landscape: Field View
    FL 12mm, ISO 400, 1/400sec-F/8, Aperture Priority, polarizer, on way from Hyden to Perth, Western Australia, 20 Sept 2008.

3. Australian Darter (Anhinga melanogaster, female):
    This sea bird has an interesting behavior of spreading out their wings for sun-drying. FL 93 mm, 1/250-F/9, ISO 200, Aperture Priority, EC/; -0.7 ev, handheld with rock as support, Pecher Point, on way from Fremantle to Busselton, Western Australia, 15 Sept 2008.

Thank for organizing the exhibition!

Cheers!
    Yixiong
    DSC_9746Arnpss.JPG
    DSC_5182Arnps.JPG
    DSC_7921Arnps.JPG

Attachments:
    Profile photo of tridenttrident

Large-tailed Nightjar – Caprimulgus macrurus
    Large-tailed Nightjars are nocturnalbird and it feed on moths and other night-flying insects.
    They are particularly fond of flying termite swarms.
    They perch-and-wait then swoop down and catch prey on the wing, flying low over the ground, swerving from side
    to side. Long pointed wings and tails make them acrobatic and silent fliers. They sometimes perch on street lamps,
    snapping up the insects attracted to the light, particularly after heavy rains.
    They are most active at dusk.
    During the day, Nightjars sit motionless on the ground, perfectly camouflaged among the leaf litter. Often
    they will remain unmoving until you almost step on them. They may also perch on a low branch.
    Canon 20D 400mm f5.6+1.4 TC. 1/80s f5.6 ISO800 flashed AWB Av priority

Profile photo of mingming

Hi,

Below are my entries.
    P1.jpg
    P2.jpg

Attachments:
    Profile photo of mcclimmcclim

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM

The clavus or caudal fin of the ocean sunfish (
    ) being cleaned by a longfin bannerfish () and many blacklip butterflyfish (). This was taken at Nusa Penida, Bali.
    Nikon D200 in Seacam housing, 10.5mm lens, f9 1/80 iso100 dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes

SNPY 2017 Scoreboard UM
    Manta
    The graceful Manta ray (
    ) swoops towards me. This was taken at Nusa Penida, Bali.
    Nikon D200 in Seacam housing, 10.5mm lens f8 1/250 iso 100 dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes

Sea Lion
    This Galápagos Sea Lion (
    ) cavorts in front of my camera. Taken in Galápagos islands, Ecuador.
    Nikon D200 in Seacam housing, 10.5mm lens f7.1 1/60 iso 100 dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes
    Lim-Marcus-06.JPG
    Lim-Marcus-08.JPG
    Lim-Marcus-sealion.JPG

Attachments:
    Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Here are my submission. :smile:
    20051210-IMG_6781.jpg
    20061222-IMG_2634.jpg
    20080908-IMG_1840.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]