• This topic has 873 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Han, Hazel

Was quite puzzled with this discovery.

With reference to what was posted by Allan at
    http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=416&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=architecture,

it seems to indicate that it’s the same species of catepillar. Yet, in this picture, the cat’s skin was left in the cocoon while there are 2 egg-like thingy in the middle. Could the cocoon be attacked and intruded by another species of insect? The fact that I saw 2 similar cocoons like this make it less likely ?

Anyone have any idea what is happening here ?

Wish the mystery to this interesting creature could be unveiled.
    double.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    sleepycat

already reached pupal stage and those are chrysallis?

Luenny

Hmmm … strange. 2 chrysallis? Do you have a picture of the cat’s skin that’s below the 2 chrysallis?

Han, Hazel

Darren & Wei Luen,

Was wondering whether they are chrysalis (yes! a relatively new term to me) too. But seems unlikely since there are 2 of them? Unless some mutation is going on? :o

Did not have a separate shot of the cat. However, it does not look very different from the one posted by Allan except being very dead. :huh what:

Too bad there is heavy rain these 2 days which might wash it away. Otherwise, might be able to re-visit to observe it’s ( or their) transformation.

NatureTTL

Well spotted, Hazel.

Really a mystery find.
    Apart from having 2 chrysalis in a cocoon, which is already :? , what is the dried cat’s skin doing there?

My wild guess would be:
    The materials that the cat used to make their cocoon maybe it’s hairs and/or it’s skin.
    Each cat should be able to find enough material to built one cocoon by itself.
    In this case, since two cats shared the same cocoon, the extra building materials was left behind.

:huh what:

Cheers..
    Allan

Han, Hazel

Well spotted, Hazel.

Really a mystery find.
    Apart from having 2 chrysalis in a cocoon, which is already :? , what is the dried cat’s skin doing there?

My wild guess would be:
    The materials that the cat used to make their cocoon maybe it’s hairs and/or it’s skin.
    Each cat should be able to find enough material to built one cocoon by itself.
    In this case, since two cats shared the same cocoon, the extra building materials was left behind.

:huh what:

Cheers..
    Allan

Thanks Allan.

Woah. Even insects are affected by the global recession and starts to cut costs?! :o
    Sounds very logical though. Hopefully got chance to spot more of them to confirm theory. :nodding:

Luenny

Actually I have another theory. I think the 2 cocoon inside there are too small for the cage. If you look at previous post by Allan and myself, usually the cocoon fills quite a big part of the cage. There will not be enough space for 2 cocoon. And judging by the size of your dried cat skin, I think if that cat were to build a cocoon, it’ll be much bigger than the 2 hanging there. I am thinking that this cat has been infected by some sort of parasite since it was very young. As it grows, so does the parasite (inside its body). And when it finally made the cage, the parasite(s) came out of its body, killed it, and build their own cocoon inside the protective cage. Well, maybe it’s just my imagination but these things are very common in the wild.

Han, Hazel

Hi Wei Luen, a very exciting theory you have. :smile:

stingRey
    Spectator

Nice find Hazel.
    No idea about this thing.
    But I enjoy reading some "Theories" behind.
    Thanks for sharing.

Han, Hazel

This photo is taken by Mr. Ong yesterday.
    Thanks for the contribution!

Seems like some insects inside the 2 thingy have ‘hatched’.

Looks like Wei Luen’s theory could be plausible! :cheers:
    OngLS_PrisonBreak.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]