• This topic has 370 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Damselflies lay their eggs in the water. The eggs hatch within a few days and the larvae grow quickly. The larva (about 2cm long) live in water and can molt up to 15 times during its growth. When the larva is fully developed, it moves to exposed rocks or plants where it prepares for the final stage of molting. The emergence may take about one hour.

I would like to share a newly emerged damselfly from the last molting. It was still attached to its shelf when I first saw it. I am not sure about the ID but it looks like a Podolestes orientalis to me. It was taken at Bukit Timah Bicycle Trail where I photographed my previous 2 species of damselflies. Its body was soft and the body colour was not normal yet. It was weak and could not fly properly. I read that it usually takes a day or two for its skin and wings to harden.
    IMG_7196.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Very nice shot Anthony. Thanks for sharing this information. A day or two for the skin to harden?? Wow, that’s a long time to be vulnerable.

Wei Luen,
    Yes, very vulnerable indeed. That’s probably why they are usually very sensitive to human and often fly away and, unlike adult damsels, perch high up in the branches.

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

good shot of this damsel in a frail state.

D, Thanks for viewing and comments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]