• This topic has 422 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I read that some avid photographers in the field used a technique called "phishing". Is that a good thing or a bad thing? They load their iPod with true-to-life sounds of songs and calls, and plug it to an inexpensive speaker to lure the birds. NG has a multi-media software programme http://www.handheldbirds.com/ that keeps a comprehensive database but I am not sure if photographers use it to cajole the birds. Apart from having a 600mm lens :shocked: , unparalleled skills :kudos thumbsup: , perhaps some luck :nodding: and patience, what else do you do? Just curious … :?

Rgds
    Sharon

Hi Sharon,

this is a controversial subject. There are many think that playing recording to attract birds will affect bird life but there are equal number of people think otherwise. There are lots of heated debates on the net and nature/bird forums about this and I do not think there is any conclusion or conclusive evidence to show who is right or wrong.

If one is using the bird call, I will encourage limiting the duration and frequency of recordings. Repeatedly playing a recording of birdsong or calls to encourage a bird to respond can divert a territorial bird from other important duties, such as feeding its young, as I said there is no conclusive evidence, but it is better be safe than sorry. If you read our Code of Ethics in the Field http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1475, under the Photographic Accessories section, NPSS encourages members to limit the use of any method of attracting birds, particularly during mating and nesting seasons.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of erictanerictan

i think observing the behaviour of the bird and then moving in to take your pics is the best…
    we end up not disturbing the birds and yet get our pics…

i rely heavily on 2 things (having none of the things you listed; 600mm, unparallel skills, haha :) ) : patience and LUCK.

patience with perservence will get you the shot that you want….
    and luck brings the bird to where your setup is….

just my opinion
    eric :)

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Since we’re in this topic, correct me if I’m wrong but most software give you one song for one species of bird right? But I think you need more than 1 song to call them. If you observe their call, they usually start with something long (like a song) and if you reply with the same song, usually they will response (if they do response) with a shorter bird call. I think the first one is to determine the species and the shorter one is more like saying "Who are you?" or "Where are you?" or something like that. And at that instance I think you need to response with the appropriate shorter call. Well, at least that’s what I think. Am I making sense?

I think the first one is to determine the species and the shorter one is more like saying "Who are you?" or "Where are you?" or something like that. And at that instance I think you need to response with the appropriate shorter call. Well, at least that’s what I think. Am I making sense?

WL – what if the shorter one is saying "hey, get lost!". So, what should your next shorter recording say? "No, you get lost!!". :twisted: – yes, you are making a lot of bird sense :nyah nyah: ! :D :D

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

No, if they say "Get lost", you should say, "Make me". That way, they’ll come out and you can shoot them. :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]