• This topic has 226 voices and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

The naturescapes article below entitled " Embracing Failure" made me think a little about this aspect of Nature Photography (and photography in general)
    http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/category-personal-perspective/39-personal-perspective/316-embracing-failure

Also Picked some quotes from http://www.photoquotes.com/ for my own enrichment and to share:

The professional, however, has all his energies directed to make things pay. He has too much at stake to speculate. He chooses the safest way. He is the true conservative, and when he gets hold of anything that works passable well, changes with reluctance. If an amateur experiments with a new toning bath on a batch of perhaps half-a-dozen prints, and fails, well the loss is not great, and he gains in knowledge and experience. But the professional has his batch of perhaps six hundred, and if he fail, the loss is something considerable…. – Jabez Cornelius Hughes – in 1863

Above all, it’s hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made. – Sam Abell, Stay This Moment : The Photographs of Sam Abell by Sam Abell (Photographer), Robert E. Gilka , ISBN: 0934738726
    This book is available from Amazon.com

Continual failure is a road to success – if you have the strength to go on. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

It does not matter to me if you are the best or the weakest photographer in the room or if you do not know how to do a particular task, if you truly believe that failure is not an option then it will not be and you will get the job that is in front of you done. Simple stuff to say a little harder to follow!!! – Tom Braid

Growing up in the war, listening to Churchill’s speeches, being bombed in Glasgow every night – that brought me to photojournalism. It was the drama – I wanted to be close to the center of things.

I was next to Bobby (Kennedy) when he was shot. It was hideous. Part of me wanted to crawl away. I couldn’t. That was when I had to deliver. I was saying to myself, "Don’t fail now, fail tomorrow." The Kennedy thing – I still wake up in the night and think about it. I even remember the f-stop. It was 1.4
    – Harry Benson – Vision – Lowepro 2004/2005, page 29

I think that basically all of my photographs are failures… I’m not saying that as a self negation or anything like that, I just don’t judge it upon it upon how "good" it was, but rather upon how I’d fail upon what I was trying to say… I think this [Tomoko in her Bath] personally is the best photograph I ever made, it came to say what I was trying to say… – W. Eugene Smith, Myth and Vision on the Walk to Paradise Garden and the Photography of W. Eugene Smith by Menning Hansen , ISBN: 9179002668 , Page: 6

I’ve never been successful at making films, really. I’ve never been able to do it right. And there’s something terrific about that. There’s something good about being a failure–it keeps you going. – Robert Frank – 1975

It would be worth it to fail. – David Winge – When asked about traveling a great distance to a specific location for a photo shoot shoot

Just remember one of Farace Laws of photography: Sucess is hard, failure is easy. – Joe Farace – This is from his book "The Photographer’s Internet Handbook, Second Edition," which is available on Amazon.com

Most of the time it is the day-to-day jobs that the photographers are covering – but often, from those routine assignments, comes a winning picture. Suddenly, bang from out of the blue there is a great picture. If you are not fit you will miss it and fail. – John Giles

One does not think during creative work, any more than one thinks when driving a car. But one has a background of years – learning, unlearning, success, failure, dreaming, thinking, experience, all this – then the moment of creation, the focusing of all into the moment. So I can make ‘without thought,’ fifteen carefully considered negatives, one every fifteen minutes, given material with as many possibilities. But there is all the eyes have seen in this life to influence me. – Edward Weston, The Best of Popular Photography by Harvey V. Fondiller , ISBN: 0871650371 , Page: 280

Ultimately success or failure in photographing people depends on the photographer’s ability to understand his fellow man. – Edward Weston

We are faced with two moments of selection and thus of possible regret: the first and more serious when actuality is there, staring us in the viewfinder; and the second when all the shots have been developed and printed and we have to reject the less effective ones. It is then – too late – that we see exactly where we have failed. When we are at work, a moment’s hesitation or physical separation from the event robs us of some detail; all too often we have let our eye wander, we have lost our concentration; that is enough. – Henri Cartier-Bresson – February 22, 1968., The World of Henri Cartier-Bresson by Henri Cartier-Bresson , ISBN: 0670786640

(the end…hope you had enjoyed this little selection and gained some motivation to keep going at this rewarding but sometimes
    frustrating pastime :Innocent: )

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]