• This topic has 460 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

I find the CS4 quite sluggish and tends to hang a lot.
    It’s a pity as I like some of the new features in CS4. I still use CS2 most of the time as CS4 seems to
    have some compatibility problem….??
    BTW I am using Vista OS.

Anyone else have this problem? :(

Hi Darren,

I have been using CS4 on both vista and Mac for the last 6 months or so and do not have any problem. What is your RAM set up? Although CS4 minimum requirements is 512K and recommended 1G RAM, I think you will need at least 2G to have good performance, If you have 4G it will be great.

CS4 has some neat features such as adjustment layer pallets, stacking, etc. I did not notice any major issue in performance from CS3 to CS4.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Photoshop is a memory hogger, and rightfully so, because it exploits the speed of using physical memory (RAM) to store the data for processing. 4G would be great, and if you do stitching in 16 bit tiffs (like do sometimes), the more RAM the merrier :D

I run mine on XP though. I’m hoping to give Vista a miss,and wait for Windows 7.

Sometimes it also depends on other apps running as well as the inherent stability of the hardware.

Cheers,
    PTLee

Many thanks PT and SC. Yes, my laptop does have 4G RAM.

I have found the solution. It lies in an update to the original CS4 that was shipped. I d/l it, installed the update and now the CS4 is working properly.

at
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html#generalOS

Known issues

After Photoshop CS4 shipped, a problem was found that caused a variety of slowdowns related to GPU functionality, in Windows XP and Vista. This issue was fixed in Photoshop CS4 11.0.1.

If your brush performance lags, you may have experienced another issue that is fixed in Photoshop 11.0.1.

If you think you may have experienced either of these issues, please update to 11.0.1, which can be found on the download site:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Adobe Photoshop CS4 11.0.1 update – multiple languages

February 24, 2009
    The Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 11.0.1 update addresses a number of issues discovered after Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended (11.0) software were released.The most significant fixes in the Photoshop CS4 11.0.1 update include the following:

* A number of issues that could cause slow performance have been addressed.
    * Pen barrel rotation with Wacom tablets now works correctly.
    * Photoshop now correctly recognizes 3D textures edited by a plug-in.
    * The quality of the results of Auto-Blend Layers (Stack Images) has been improved.
    * A problem that could result in a crash when pasting formatted text has been fixed.
    * A crash that could result from a corrupt font no longer occurs.

=============================================================

Thanks again guys.:)

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

I din know about that! Thanks for the update Darren. Im on Mac and am upgrading soon but its still a good to know for most of us.

Cheers

Han

I din know about that! Thanks for the update Darren. Im on Mac and am upgrading soon but its still a good to know for most of us.

Cheers

Han

my pleasure. :smile:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]