• This topic has 103 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

PP asked me to share the tips for "improving" the sky here http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2893. Before I start, I would like to say that it is always better to get things right in camera rather than relying on Photoshop. All these tricks will work for web posting, but for good, high quality printing, it will probably be a problem.

Here are the steps I did:

1) I do not like the grass so I use a brush to clean it up. Since the BG is quite uniform, I used a color picker and point it to the BG and use a soft brush to brush the grass.

2) As PP’ photo is a little warm, I use colour filter to "cool" it down so that after you get the blue sky, the colour of the White Bellied Sea Eagle will blend in better. Make sure you use adjustment layer so that you can make further adjustment later, if required.

3) Apply the next round of photo filter, I increase the intensity until I have the sky colour that I want.

4) Click on the mask layer next to photo filter and make sure the foreground colour is Black and select a brush from your tool menu

5) brush the area that you do not want the colour to be changed. change to the appropriate size so that you will not accidentally brush outside the intended area. Enlarge the image will also help to brush better.

6) Once done, flatten the image and you are done.

Have fun

Cheers,
    SC
    bluesky1.jpg
    bluesky2.jpg
    bluesky3.jpg
    bluesky4.jpg
    bluesky5.jpg
    ppbluesky2.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SC – First and most of all, thank you for taking time to teach and share :kudos thumbsup: . :kow tow:

I learn something new – i didnt know the trick of using color picker to brush over things…..that’s helpful!

Now questions time:

1 – Note # 2- Presumably, we should use "white-balance" adjustment in Raw to tone down a warm picture, right, rather than a photo filter? I do realise that all my images are quite warm as I’ve set my white balance to "cloudy" in the camera and during processing, i seldom tweak it. I dont want to use Auto as white balance in the camera either. Thinking of simpler method to reduce processing…..maybe just set a moderate amount of temperature in the camera setting rather than choosing the preset buttons :huh what: Or is the tweaking during processing is one of the steps that we cannot be lazy about :oops: ?

2 – Note # 4 – That is the part that stumped me…..using quick selection tool was not easy, and color range selection didnt help either….. .I did thought of using brush to mask the bird from the filter effect, but i doubt my skills in painting, and i would probably over/under brush resulting in weird edges…..lazy also to magnify it to 400% for better brushing strokes, as it would take too much time…You did a great job in the brushing :applause: .

Is there a way we can "see" where we had brushed? the layers box is too small to be able to see what i had or had not brushed.
    I presume there is a click somewhere to change the view to a masked view (eg as can be seen in refine edge)?

Oh by the way – I think you forget to brush the beak…it still looked blue to me … :nyah nyah:

3. Note # 5 – screenshot – Layer 1. Is the bird on a colored bg? it looked like it has no bg/transparent as the bg is the same color as your workspace?

:? …i think i have made some improvement in understanding PS – my questions are less lengthy these days…… :woohoo:

Thanks again!

Hi PP,

Here are my answers:

1 – Note # 2- Presumably, we should use "white-balance" adjustment in Raw to tone down a warm picture, right, rather than a photo filter? I do realise that all my images are quite warm as I’ve set my white balance to "cloudy" in the camera and during processing, i seldom tweak it. I dont want to use Auto as white balance in the camera either. Thinking of simpler method to reduce processing…..maybe just set a moderate amount of temperature in the camera setting rather than choosing the preset buttons :huh what: Or is the tweaking during processing is one of the steps that we cannot be lazy about :oops: ?

I used AWB as most of the cameras algorithm for white balance are pretty good, well at least Canon gets it right most of the time. :P I do not bother to change that unless the colour is way off. If I need to adjust WB, I will usually do it in the raw before exporting to Photoshop.

2 – Note # 4 – That is the part that stumped me…..using quick selection tool was not easy, and color range selection didnt help either….. .I did thought of using brush to mask the bird from the filter effect, but i doubt my skills in painting, and i would probably over/under brush resulting in weird edges…..lazy also to magnify it to 400% for better brushing strokes, as it would take too much time…You did a great job in the brushing :applause: .

Is there a way we can "see" where we had brushed? the layers box is too small to be able to see what i had or had not brushed.
    I presume there is a click somewhere to change the view to a masked view (eg as can be seen in refine edge)?

When you have 2 colour tones in your image you can see it quite clearly places that you have brushed and places waiting for you to clean up. I use the small layer mask box just for reference.

Oh by the way – I think you forget to brush the beak…it still looked blue to me … :nyah nyah:

oops, missed that. :oops:

3. Note # 5 – screenshot – Layer 1. Is the bird on a colored bg? it looked like it has no bg/transparent as the bg is the same color as your workspace?

Yup colour BG, your original BG was grey.

:? …i think i have made some improvement in understanding PS – my questions are less lengthy these days…… :woohoo:

Great! now your turn to share with others when you complete the 1 month free training :kudos thumbsup:

Cheers,
    SC

Great! now your turn to share with others when you complete the 1 month free training

ooppss….still as busy as ever – no time to settle down and sit still long enough to start this course…… :roll:

thanks for the answers – regarding the masking, are you saying that there is no "one click" button to show us the black paint where we have painted black on the masking layer?? :( …the layer menu is too small to be referred to… :worried:

PP,

Not sure if there is a way to enlarge the masking layer, may be there is a way but I do not know.

Cheers,
    SC

thanks – i will do a search for it and maybe once, just once,i can teach the master :P :P :D

ok…..true enough – just a click away.

to view your mask in a big way, click on channels (beside the layer menu) …….. :woohoo:

screenshot of the channels….make sure the "eye" is on the mask layer…this way, we can see how much or little we have painted…and we can continue to paint in this view…(before going into the channel tab, in the layers tab, the highlighted layer must be the layer with the mask that you are working on….)

found that by going "window" – "mask" – there is some adjustments – density, feather, and refine sliders for mask…dont know how these functions yet, but worth exploring…only learnt all these so far…more to study on.. :peace:
    Screen-shot-2009-09-10-at-PM-08.42.58.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Thanks Master PP. Learn something new. :kudos thumbsup:

Cheers,
    SC

ha ha…wouldnt take the credit ! but glad to able to return some favors. I found all these information in this book from the public library titled " Photoshop CS4 – Channels & Masks – one on one by Deke McClelland. :kudos thumbsup: book but as thick as all CS4 books as usual :sick: !

Thanks Master PP. Learn something new. :kudos thumbsup:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]