• This topic has 428 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of erictanerictan

hi,

understand that to reduce camera shake, best advice given is using 1/focal length…
    but with the flash sync speed of 1/250 for most cameras and yet want to shoot at shutter speed of about 1/500,

like to hear your advice on:

1. how to overcome the issue of flash sync speed not being able to match the high shutter speed?
    2. would setting "auto FP" on nikon system be useful in this kind of situation?
    3. understand that one way is to stop down so that shutter speed becomes 1/250 to amtch the highest flash sync speed, but assuming we insist on shooting at 1/500 shutter speed to reduce camera shake, what would be the best way?

thanks a lot.
    eric :)

Eric,

I am a Canon user so I am not familiar with Nikon setting. However, I believe Nikon should have a setting on the flash unit for high speed sync, that will take care of the situation whereby the shutter speed exceed the sync speed. As to shutter speed and camera shake, it is true that the rule of thumb is 1/focal length for handheld, however, for my shooting, I am using tripod or bean bag 99% of the time, camera shake is not a real issue for me, but subject motion blur is.

Cheers,
    SC

thanks scfang for your reply…. :)

Hi Eric,

Just spoke to a Nikon user last night, I think High Speed Sync in Canon is known as Auto FP in Nikon. So as long as you set that, it will take care of the flash without over exposing when shutter speed exceed the sync speed.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

Hi Eric,

I am not sure about the exact name Nikon called it, but not all Nikon camera support high speed flash sync. D300 and above should have it, the newer D90 I am not sure whether it have it. You need to turn on this function in your camera custom setting. If you are using the D300 it is custom setting #E1.

If high speed flash sync is active, on your external flash LCD, you should see TTL FP if you have set your flash in standard TTL mode or TTL BL FP if you have set your flash in TTL balance mode. FP does not change the type of TTL you are using, it change the allowable top sync speed of your flash and camera. But do note that if you are using a shutter speed higher than the maximum flash sync speed your camera support, the flash is fired in a series of very small short bursts instead of a single burst, and this reduce the overall flash output. The reduce of flash output does not concern me too much because 99% of the time I am using flash as fill only.

thanks scfang and tanhb for your assistance….

that really clears up a lot of doubt… :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]