• This topic has 1,237 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

This is a butterfly that is known to travel great distances. Found this Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady) this morning.

Richard

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Nice one Richard. The low level shot works for me. I did a brief search and it sort of stated that it migrates from North Africa and the Mediterranean to Britain. But how did it come to SG?

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Bad travel agent? :lol:

Nice one Richard. The low level shot works for me. I did a brief search and it sort of stated that it migrates from North Africa and the Mediterranean to Britain. But how did it come to SG?

Cheers

Han

Cheers

Han

This is not the first time this specie has appear here. I encountered it about a year ago also around the same area. This one could possibly travel down from Thailand.
    Richard

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Richard,
    Very good find.
    Also wondering how they can migrate here looking at their wing span.

Interesting find, which butterfly species holds the long distance record for migration?

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

I’m not sure which species holds the longest records, but the most talked about on is the the Monarch Butterfly.

Great to know there are other species just as impressive, if not more so.

Wonder what they use to navigate?

Richard,

Nice find of this colourful butterfly traveling amazing distance. Any idea how long is the lifespan of these butterflies? How many roundtrip can these migrating butterflies make in their lifetime?

Cheers,
    SC

Richard,

Nice find of this colourful butterfly traveling amazing distance. Any idea how long is the lifespan of these butterflies? How many roundtrip can these migrating butterflies make in their lifetime?

Cheers,
    SC

Most butterflies live for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Looks like they can only make one trip in their life time. Monarchs travel from Mexico to N America and Canada a distance of around 2000 miles. Painted Lady from Europe to Africa where they breed and die and the new ones travel back when it is warm there.
    Richard

Profile photo of bluekitebluekite

Richard,

What is the flying speed of this one? Strange! :huh what:

Cheers,
    Kt

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

some amazing butterfly facts here. ;)
    Good catch btw,Richard.

Thanks KT and Darren. Don’t know the speed of this migratory butt, guess they travel with the help of the wind.
    BTW this butterfly should be the Vanessa indica (Red Adniral) as I check my shots taken of the top side of the wings. Both the Painted Lady and the Red Admiral look similiar on the underside.
    Richard

Profile photo of SunnySunny

Hi Guys ,

More details of the species and pictures can be found here at the Butterflies of Singapore Blog on ( The Indian Red Admiral) .

Cheers!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]