• This topic has 803 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ong, Lim SimOng, Lim Sim
    Spectator

I had the great opportunity observing experts at work by joining Anthony in his latest outing to Pulau Ubin. Anthony was actually guiding Mr. Tang, the damselfly expert and others, to the sites where he found rare damselflies and dragonflies during the last NPSS Outing.
    I am posting my record shots here for the purpose of inviting Anthony to tell us the story of his discovery. To me his discovery adds meaning and value to our nature photography activities.
    Congratulation, Anthony. :cheers: :applause:
    Cheers.
    Damsel-2-Web.jpg
    Damsel11-Web.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Congrats Anthony!! Let’s go celebrate! :cheers:

Profile photo of EndyEndy

WOW ANTHONY!

THIS IS INCREDIBLE! :crazy happy:
    IS IT A NEW SPECIES?
    IS IT ONLY BE FOUND IN SINGAPORE?
    HOW MANY SPECIES HAVE YOU FOUND?
    HOW ABOUT TELL US MORE?

I always wanted to find a new species. But could not find any. :(
    YOU MADE US VERY PROUD! :kudos thumbsup:

This call for a celebration!
    ENDY

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Congrats Anthony.
    Hope to hear the story.

Sorry for the late response as I was a little busy lately.

Thanks Ong for providing me the opportunity to share the discovery of this rare species. Thanks Luenny, Endy & Rey for the congratulatory notes.

This species was first discovered in Pulau Ubin during our recent combined avian and macro outing in Aug 09. I first saw the darker-coloured male but didn’t really pay attention to it as it looked like a common species to me. It was only when I spotted the light-brownish female that I realized that it could be a new species as I don’t recall seeing it in Mr Tang’s website on Odonates. I tried my best (I actually went down to the muddy mangrove swamp!) hoping to get a good shot but did not succeed as it disappeared after a few record shots. I sent these record shots to Mr Tang for his assistance on the ID. His initial identification was that of a Mortonagrion arthuri, the darker damselfly being the male while the pale-coloured (light brownish) one being the female. After Mr Tang’s discussion with his 2 local friends and an overseas friend from Finland, an expect in Asia’s odonates, they are of the opinion that it may not be Mortonagrion arthuri.

Mr Tang requested that I let him know the exact spots in P. Ubin where I saw the damselflies and dragonfly (another possible new species, see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). As I could not pin-point the exact location on the google satellite map, I offered to bring them there instead. We visited P. Ubin on 26 Oct 09. The dragonfly was no longer there but there were quite plentiful of the male damselflies and a handful of female species. The damselflies were very cooperative this time and I had some improvement shots of them while Mr Tang and his friends managed to get the shots they wanted and collected some specimens. By comparing with the original description of M. arthuri in the paper by Fraser, F. C. in 1942, Mr Tang finds that the specimens do not fit the descriptions in the paper very well and concluded that it may be another species. Now that with better photos and collected specimens of this damselfly, Mr Tang said that it would help them to ID this species soon.

With that, let me answer Endy’s questions:

Is this a new species?
    Possible yes!

Is it only be found in Singapore?
    According to Mr Tang, he had only seen a much discoloured and much deformed male specimen from the mangrove area in Sg. Cina. I think it is quite possible that it can only be found in Singapore.

How many species have you found?
    I only found this damselfly species, there were many males but females are few. I also found a dragonfly which could also be a new discovery.

Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi Anthony
    Congratulations!! And thanks for the update.
    I hope you get the due recognition for some fantastic work! :kow tow:

Cheers
    Loong Tat

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

Congrats, Anthony.
    This is really amazing. :kow tow:

Profile photo of Han, HazelHan, Hazel

Hi Anthony,

great discovery and thanks for the detailed updates!
    it’s great that a hobby you are passionate about contribute in such a great and special way. :cheers:

Anthony,

A big congrats! :applause: :cheers: Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    SC

Hi Ong,
    The #1 image is so nice! :kudos thumbsup:

Anthony,
    Congratulation!!

Cheers!
    Yixiong

Loong Tat, Hwee Boon, Hazel, SC, Yixiong – Thanks!

Some further updates:

I just got to know that Yixiong has photographed the female damselfly in Pulau Tekong (while he was conducting the Nature Survey on that island) on 5 Mar 07, 2.5 years before me!! Yixiong should get the credit too :smile:

Mr Tang updated me this morning that although they still do not know the ID of this damselfly, he is certain that it a Mortonagrion species. They will send the specimens to Finland for expert’s examination and he said that there is a possibility that it is a new species :cheers:

Profile photo of NatureTTLNatureTTL

Well done my friends…

:cheers:
    Allan

Thanks Allan!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]