• This topic has 703 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Was walking along the trail when I heard screeching sounds of what I thought was a squirrel, but the screeching didn’t stop and dragged on for quite a while. Moving on I saw another photographer peering down the banks, and as he pointed out to me what I he saw, I got a shock.

It was a monitor lizard grabbing onto a tree shrew with it’s mouth. The tree shrew was clearly injured already, probably by the lizard’s bite, and as the lizard tightened its grip on it’s prey, the screeching became louder. I could only watch for a while before I remembered to grab my tripod and camera for some shots.

Gruesome it was, but the lizard’s got to eat, and predators help keep the population in check. It’s a balance, and it’s how nature works, try to control it too much by removing the predator, or hinder its chances of getting a kill, and the prey’s population may spin out of control, remove the prey, and the predators may not have enough to eat, and may either dwindle in numbers to reflect the availability of food, or worse, move to farms and houses to scavenge for food in (human) populated areas.

After a while, the screams stopped, and presumably the tree shrew’s time had ended, probably through loss of blood (there was a deep gash at it’s lower body), and the lizard proceeded to swallow the prey whole. That meal should last it for a while. I always see the monitor lizards hiding along the banks at SBWR, and wondered why were they hiding, maybe I just found the answer.

Below are three of the many shots I took, had to shoot through the foliage, and didn’t want to move too much, for fear that I may scare off the lizard, and deprive it of its meal.

#1 is actually when the lizard already finished its meal, and for those who wish, #2 & #3 are more graphic, I decided not to show too much blood here :|

On hindsight, I probably should have tried taking some video footage, but then the editing process would require me to look through it again and again… ewww… :sick:

There you have it, my three sightings in one outing at the SBWR. Hopefully my next trip there will be just as fruitful, perhaps less gruesome than this. Still waiting to see the otters ;)

Cheers,
    PTLee
    20091009-Canon_EOS_7D_IMG_0549.jpg
    20091009-Canon_EOS_7D_IMG_0440.jpg
    20091009-Canon_EOS_7D_IMG_0510.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

Wow, nice series!! Yeah, you should have video-ed it.

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

Wow. :shocked:

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

this is just nature’s balancing act, but still a pretty brutal scene.

:cry: so sad….the tree shrew was so cute…. :sad wave:

Profile photo of steplimsteplim

Pt,

Nice write up and sad to see the the preys being eaten alive by predators, but this is true nature balance as you had mentioned.

Profile photo of tridenttrident

#3 is the most gruesome of the 3.
    Funny how the presence of blood makes a picture gruesome,
    while a fish been eaten is not gruesome at all :shocked:
    Well done PT, hope your stomach can hold down your lunch :nyah nyah:

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

One has to die for other to survive.

Phek Thong,

a video will be great. I , too, always forgot to switch to video. :( Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of Olesen, BjornOlesen, Bjorn
    Spectator

it is a jungle out there …. good shots.

:o

Bjorn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]