• This topic has 702 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Han, HazelHan, Hazel

Hi,

I am using a Gitzo Explorer and a Benro KJ-1.
    Recently shooting some ground crawlers. Unable to shoot at ground level to get a really eye level confrontation with the subjects.

Is it possible to do this with my equipment ? What happens if I changed my ball head to a Markins M10 ? Any other work around?

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Hazel,

Changing to Markins may help a little, but not much. If you really thinking about almost touching the ground, I will recommend Skimmer Ground Pod, which cost about US$100. Details can be found here : http://www.naturescapes.net/store/product.php?productid=41 You see the photo is showing the pod with a Wimberley head, but you can put your ball head on instead.

There is a DIY version that cost a lot less. Get a frying pan (or look out for someone throwing out their old frying pan) and go to a workshop to have a hole drilled and put in a nut that will fit your ball head. It probably cost less than $10.

Now come the cheapest version, use a beanbag or pillow as support, forget about ballhead, just put your lens on the beanbag or pillow, that should also work. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    SC

SC,

thanks for the detailed reply!
    The bean bag idea sounds great!
    Will try that out.

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

SC,

thanks for the detailed reply!
    The bean bag idea sounds great!
    Will try that out.

hi Hazel,
    another suggestion to help you go ground level and protect those elbows: bubble wrap. ;)

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Hazel,

I have thought of SC’s suggestion before but it may be a little tough to bring that out and then remove the ballhead when you need to set it up and remove it again for higher angle shots. Of course, the ideal way will be to have 2 ballheads so one for the ground setup and the other for the normal tripod. :D

For ground level shooting, you will need a angle finder, get the Canon Angle Finder C. There is a Seagull one floating around somewhere, I had it and puked blood.

If you are using a Explorer, why can’t you get to ground level? Extend the column out, get it horizontal and voila, the legs can then go all the way to ground and you are set. Want to go lower? Get the setup into the vertical notch in your ballhead (normally used only for lenses without tripod collars) and you can use the tripod collar to get horizontal but you have just lowered your setup by a few more cm. I will try get a photo asap to illustrate my point.

Darren’s bubble wrap is a superb idea and Aaron (our pioneer admin cum macro shooter) wore kneepads and elbowpads all the time. He looked good and steady but when I had mine on, I looked downright clumsy not to mention, managed to loose my balance while kneeling. :cry:

Cheers

Han

Thanks Darren for the suggestion.
    Will never ever have un-burst ones available at home.
    It’s well loved by kids and old folks in the family. :o

Han, thanks for the detailed elaboration. I was able to get the tripod quite low with the column being horizontal, but it’s simply not low enough. So, I will try your second method next time while I use the bean bag. I will be using my Live View mode instead of getting the Canon Angle Finder C. Hope results will be good. Recession. One cent saved is one cent earned. :oops:

I don’t think I can pull it off with the knee and elbow pads. Will look like a car park attendant trying to do roller blading. :cry:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]