• This topic has 640 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wildlifewildlife

Hi,

While looking for reptile & snake for documenting, came face-to-face with a full-grown adult Shore-Pit Viper or Mangrove Pit-Viper () after a tip-off.

During day, this nocturnal snake would lie quietly amongst the mangrove and most nature photographers may not be aware of its presence as it kept extremely still for a long time. The viper specie is considered venomous & aggressive by nature.

See link for picture : http://home.pacific.net.sg/~wildlife/Viper.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it looked evil!! :sick:

Peacefuldove,

At first I tried taking it with AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8 by getting near and sense the viper’s irritation and it started to show menace (can see from the photo on its face). I decided to change lens to suit circumstances (as safety precaution) and use APO Macro 150mm F2.8. If one got bitten by this viper specie without the right anti-venom to save, the game is over for you and all your devotion to nature world.

Profile photo of tridenttrident

Ben,
    I would shoot this with a longer lens too :D
    Nice documentation of this viper, only wish I could see more
    of them in my outings. :kudos thumbsup:

Profile photo of tanhbtanhb
    Spectator

only wish I could see more
    of them in my outings.

Richard,
    You better see it. If it is there and you didn’t see it you know what will happen? :nyah nyah:

Richard,

Hwee Boon is right. This viper specie as well as the Wagler’s Pit-Viper are both equally venomous and behave the same in total vigil stillness. You may have pass by many times during many of your trips but without noticing their proximity. I also took a shot years ago of the rarely seen female Wagler’s pit which also keep very quiet and still. Lucky for my area of work, I managed to stumble across at wild Chestnut forest leading to Mandai forest and took a shot although it was not very sharp (good for ID record) as I was using non-SLR at that time.

See link of the rarely seen female Wagler’s Pit-Viper (

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~leect/Wildlife12.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Ben,
    Thanks for sharing this image and some info about it.
    These are the creatures that I don’t want to see in the wild. :shocked:
    To see them in picture is more than enough for me. :P

Rey,

Yes I understand your uneasiness with snake encounter as you have mentioned to me once before about your feeling towards snake. Hope you will not meet up with them in the wild.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]