• This topic has 653 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have never seen snails mating before, so when I saw a pair having an intimate moment at WWW, my guess was that This Is It!. My friend didn’t think so and told me that, like most animals, the male would climb at the back of the female snail to mate. Not convinced, I searched the internet and found these interesting facts:

There is no male or female snail because they are all both! Snails are hermaphrodites which means that each individual possesses both male and female reproductive organs. It can produce sperms and eggs at the same time. In rare cases, self fertilization is possible but normally mating is between two individuals of the same species. To fertilize the eggs, the snails would exchange sperms with each other. After mating, both become pregnant and go off separate ways and lay fertilized eggs in nests dug out of moist soil.

Because of its slowness, the snail needs much time to move in a very small area. So the chances to meet a mating partner are too low to divide them even further by two sexes to choose from :twisted: Having both reproductive organs increase their mating changes ie. they can mate with any snails of the right species.

When two snails mate, each snail presses the front part of its foot against the foot of the other snail. The snails shoot a hard dart into each other, which makes sperm pass between them. However, a single snail can do all this by itself :o
    IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

I think this is it. :D

Its very good, Ant. You should have posted in M&F for some critique. ;)

BTW the info is very fascinating.

Anthony

Intersting captures of mating behaviour, and thank for sharing!!

Cheers!
    Yixiong

I think this is it. :D

Its very good, Ant. You should have posted in M&F for some critique. ;)

BTW the info is very fascinating.

Glad to hear that, D :smile: I didn’t think it was good enough as the shell of both snails was cut off. It was a rush job and I should have backup off a little and clear off the grass at the front. I was fascinated by the info too!

Anthony
    Intersting captures of mating behaviour, and thank for sharing!!
    Cheers!
    Yixiong

Thanks Yixiong for viewing and comments :smile:

Profile photo of LuennyLuenny

This is both nice and a bit gross. Thanks for sharing. I saw a group of snails huddle together recently too. I believe there were 3 of them. Must be the rain setting them off.

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

Anthony,
    Very good catch of the mating pair.
    Thanks for sharing those info.

Wei Luen, Rey,
    Thanks for viewing and comments :smile:

Hi Anthony,

Nice intimate moment captured. I remember learning this in my biology class when I was in high school (too many decades ago :D ), I think earthworm is also hermaphrodite, but it never occurred to me the reason that they are hermaphrodites is because of their slowness and seems like the reasoning is correct. Both snail and earth worm are really slow!!

Cheers,
    SC

Hi Anthony,

Nice intimate moment captured. I remember learning this in my biology class when I was in high school (too many decades ago :D ), I think earthworm is also hermaphrodite, but it never occurred to me the reason that they are hermaphrodites is because of their slowness and seems like the reasoning is correct. Both snail and earth worm are really slow!!

Cheers,
    SC

SC, I don’t recall learning this during my biology class in Sec sch but the word "hermaphrodite" looks familiar to me :smile:
    Yes, I just checked that earthwork is also hermaphrodite. The reasoning makes sense now although initially I thought that the person who wrote it was just making fun of it :nodding:

Very interesting to read. What is the white stuff on the left snail?

Rgds
    Sharon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]