• This topic has 132 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

There are many plug-ins outside for noise reduction but if you apply noise reduction on the photo, the BG and the subject will be affected. The best way, in my opion, is just to apply noise reduction on areas that are not important and keep the the subject untouch. Here’s my workflow on selective noise reduction using Photoshop for PP’s photo at http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2316:

1) Open the image in Photoshop
    2) select "Quick Selection" tool from your tool box, this is available from CS3 onwards

3) select the area you want to apply noise reduction. click on area you want to select. To deselect use option-click (in mac) and Alt-click(in PC).

4) Select Refine Edge on the top of your menu bar, this is to refine the edge so that you will not accidentally select too deep into the subject.

5) Adjust the bar to make sure those that you do not want to reduce noise are not seen in the picture

6) Click "OK" follow by copying it into a layer by Command-J (in Mac) and Ctrl-J (in PC)

7) Select Noise reduction filter (make sure the layer you want noise reduction is highlighted). Depending how much noise in your photo, sometime I apply noise reduction twice. In this example I did it twice.

8)Select the background layer by clicking the bottom layer

9) Sharpen the bottom layer. The noise in the BG will be blocked by the top layer you just applied noise reduction.

10) Flatten the image and you are done. :dance:

Original photo:

After noise reduction:

Cheers,
    SC
    PPSunbird1.jpg
    PPSunbird2.jpg
    PPSunbird3.jpg
    PPSunbird4.jpg
    PPSunbird5.jpg
    PPSunbird6.jpg
    PPSunbird7.jpg
    PPSunbird8.jpg
    PPSunbird9.jpg
    PPSunbird10.jpg
    PPSunbird.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    wltpch

Hi SC
    I am going to stand outside your door rain or shine till you accept me as your "too tee" :D

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

sleepycat

very clear screen shots,SC. Think you can make a business out of this. :P

Lucida
    Spectator

SC,
    tks for the writeup, i find it very useful! :kow tow:

cheers
    pegi

Yeo, Wee Han

Nice one SC! I will need to learn to do some NR too…have nearly zero experience with it.

Han

steplim

Nice NR techniques, SC.

When is Photoshop Refresher 3? I need to start from ground-zero too.

peacefuldove

thanks SC! great way of tutoring!

thanks particularly on Cmd J – i know how to do selection, but dont know how to copy it to a new layer – i drag, i push, i pull…i cut, i copy….just didnt work…….does my background copy need to be a smart object? :?

if i may ask another question………is it the same cmd J step if i want to copy a different image and put it as a layer in another image?…i did "select all pixels" in first image….manage to paste it into second image, but somehow, the first image is not aligned with the second image (some of the canvas is outside the range), and i cant seem to move the canvas to align the images………

PP.

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. To move an image from one to the other, use the move tool. To resize the moved image, use free transform, to keep the aspect ratio you will need to hold down the cmd key (in Mac) and resize the image to the size you want.

Cheers,
    SC

peacefuldove

i have two images taken almost simultaneously – outcome – i like the bird in Image A but bg has some flare…. Image B bird is not that great but bg is better. Rather than cloning, i am thinking of putting two images together and clean away those part that i dont want……

So, I open Image A in PS.
    Then I open Image B in PS.
    With two windows open, I choose Image B window as active.

Now I want to put Image A as a layer on top of Image B.
    Then I want to use history brush to clean away Image A bg which has flare, so that Image B bg appears with Image A bird…
    then flatten…..

somehow, i cant get/copy Image A to be a layer on top of Image B……???

PP,

I will just give up. :P seriously, I do not encourage too much editing and would rather spend more time in the field and hopefully next time I will get a sharp subject with good BG.

Now back to your question, you will have to do the following:

1) open both images
    2) select the one you want to bring over (do a cmd-A in Mac and ctrl-A in PC)
    3) click on move tool (the first tool in your tool box)

4) drag the image to another image
    5) reduce the opacity of the top image to about 20%, top image will be translucent. With that you can align the top image to the bottom image.
    6) After you are satisfied with the alignment, adjust the opacity back to 100%
    7) use erase tool to erase those you do not want on the top image and you are done.

Again, don’t spend too much time on an image. My rule of thumb is I will not spend more than 10 to 15 minute on an image, unless it is a die die must have image.

Cheers,
    SC
    PPSunbird11.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    peacefuldove

I will just give up. :P seriously, I do not encourage too much editing and would rather spend more time in the field and hopefully next time I will get a sharp subject with good BG.

Again, don’t spend too much time on an image. My rule of thumb is I will not spend more than 10 to 15 minute on an image, unless it is a die die must have image.

yupp…agree and agree……wholeheartedly! mainly because i dont have that much of patience anyway…that is why many of my images ended up in trash……… :cry: ..

thanks for the tutorial – i like to do cards with images & i want to master photoshop – hope to be able to dedicate time to study it again…….

(p/s :oops: didnt realise the first tool is the move tool – thought that is the select tool (ie change the mouse from hand to arrow) :doh_alamak: ) no wonder sometimes when i want it to move it doesnt, and when i dont want it to, it does……… :doh_alamak:

peacefuldove

SC – hope u dont mind elaborating here…and sorry for being a detailed person :ashamed: .

Q1 – Reduce Noise – presumably you have to assess the image and change all the different settings if necessary? Or for this image, did you just bring up the NR pop-up and click OK?

Q2 – "reduce noise" twice.

Does this mean after you click OK on NR pop-up, you bring up again NR pop-up on the same layer and click OK? or should this be done by copying again the layer with 1st NR into a new layer and then on the new layer, do a NR pop-up for 2nd NR?

Hi PP,

Here are my answers:

Q1) I have preset those settings that I find acceptable and I use them 90% of the time. Sometimes I may tweak it a little if I find the noise reduction was too strong. Pay attention to the edge to see any artifacts

Q2) Just bring up the noise reduction filter twice. No need to do another quick selection.

Cheers,
    SC

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]