• This topic has 96 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

There are many ways in recovering details from burnt areas, just like to share the workflow that I used in recovering the burnt perch in Tony’s post (http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1924).

1) open the photo and use quick select wand (only available after CS3) or magic wand to select burnt out perch. Although not all the perch is burnt, it will be better to select the whole thing so that the adjustment will be applied for the whole perch to avoid "discolouration"

2) Do a Cntl-J (in Windows) CMD-J (in Mac) to copy the selection to a new layer

3) Select the adjustment from the pull down menu follow by Brightness and Contrast (You can also use curve for more control, but for illustration I use Brightness)

4) Adjust the brightness to the appropriate level

5) Select Photo Filter from Adjustment Pull Down Menu follow by Warm Filter. this is to help tone down the brightness a little

6) Adjust the level of warming filter

7) After all these adjustment, there are some artifacts around the perch that we want to get rid off. Select an eraser (size will depend on the size of your photo), make sure you reduce the hardness. In this case I use 10%. Brush around the edge to get rid of the artifacts

8) Merge visible and apply another round of Warming Filter from adjustment layers (This is up to you, I prefer slightly warmer photo). the reason for merging visible is I want to apply warming filter for the whole photo.

9) Flatten the image and you are done. :woohoo:

Have fun.

Cheers,
    SC
    tonypng.jpg
    Picture-2.jpg
    Picture-4.jpg
    Picture-6.jpg
    Picture 5.png
    Picture-7.jpg
    Picture 8.png
    Picture-9.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi Sc
    Thanks. How about conducting a short course on basic workflow in PS for us poor ignorants souls??Please!! :kow tow:

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

Hi Sc
    Thanks. How about conducting a short course on basic workflow in PS for us poor ignorants souls??Please!! :kow tow:

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

Loong Tat,

Thanks for suggesting a basic workflow course, I need that too.

Tony

We had a refresher course on Photoshop last December : http://npss.org.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103. Phek Thong will be conducting a photoshop class for the Nature Photography class at Botanic Garden, may be use the same material and conduct one for our member. Will talk to him.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of tridenttrident

SC,
    Thanks for the information, will definitely try it out.

Profile photo of LucidaLucida
    Spectator

SC,
    Thank you! Learnt another new techniques from you!

Cheers
    Pegi

Profile photo of wltpchwltpch

Hi SC
    Thanks.Will look forward to the PS course!

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

Profile photo of sleepycatsleepycat

hi SC,
    thanks for the very instructive sequence of screen shots. Inspired to read up more about PS techniques. :kow tow:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]