• This topic has 629 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Just a video taken during my recent trip to Darwin. Most of the footage (other than Kookaburra) are shot on the last day of the trip at Fogg Dam.

Cheers,
    SC

CY,
    The video function of 7D looks good to me. Thanks for sharing :smile:
    BTW, there a quite a no. of birds featured in the video, maybe it is good to input the names of the bird in the video, just a suggestion ;)

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have edited the video with the ID and will upload to vimeo later. Still very new to video editing, lots of things to learn.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of tridenttrident

SC,
    The video is good. Spotted the 36C bird there.
    Now it’s so convenient, can shoot video and photo at the same time.
    I remember reading Sian’s book and how she have to carry a Video cam
    and her DSLR at the same time. :kudos thumbsup:

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Very good effort here SC. We can always talk about a possible workflow when there is time. :smile: If you have the budget, Final Cut Studio 3 is of course the very best! :D :D

Cheers

Han

Hi Han,

Final Cut Studio 3 is definitely out of my budget. May consider Final Cut Express which is much cheaper, right now iMovie is what I have and will probably be using that until I really know how to post process video. ;)

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of stingReystingRey
    Spectator

SC,
    The video looks good.
    The technology is really improving fast.
    Can take both shot at the same time?

Rey,

Yes, you can take still image while filming, but there are trade off. You will not be able to take the full resolution still image and there will be interruption in video recording.

I am quite fascinated by the video function and there are tons of techniques need to be learned. Also I realise the importance of sturdy tripod for video. Filming using beanbag (which most of mine video are with beanbag) is not a good idea.

Cheers,
    SC

Spectator

SC, Rey,

Try to avoid shooting between the video recording as that will cause a 2 sec pause in the video. My China video had many shots that were ruined as I totally forgot all about it. :oops: If you were doing a recording of say a bird preening, and within those 2 seconds, it could have either flown off (which would make a great edit point) or its mate could have come by to join it and you would have missed capturing it.

Cheers

Han

wow…video shoots are very interesting to watch! argghhhhh……another temptation! :cry:

questions
    – is there a function to add sharpness in video shooting – the birds looked very much like those raw unsharpened… :?
    – the camera seemed to continue searching for focus for moving subject, thus rendering the images in-and -out of focus with seconds interval…..any techniques to resolve that in these camera in-built video function? would using the lag-time controls for focus change help? saw that function in N still-cameras – not sure about the C ones :twisted:

Spectator

PP,

It is possible to use Picture Styles with the video function. My 70-200 IS gives quite crappy looking shots and it really is a problem with the lens. The images look lower in contrast as compared to other lenses thus I had to do some correction to the shot while editing.

http://www.casttv.com/video/25y3rf/picture-style-test-5d-mark-ii-james-miller-advanced-flat-video

For focusing, it is sad to say that AF while shooting video is a tough call for the camera and seldom used with the Mark 2. In fact, 100% of the shooters I know using the 5D2 for video uses manual focus. The AF system is really crippled when it comes to video. I have no idea about how the 7D will perform and will need SC’s confirmation on this.

Would like to add that almost all documentaries we have seen were actually shot using manual focus lenses such as Planet Earth, etc. AF lenses are more commonly found on the smaller format cameras but broadcasters are still skeptical of their image quality. So yup, maybe when it comes to video even with DSLRs, we have to go manual focus. :worried:

Of course, this monitor will get rid of all the problems related to focusing with the tiny LCD….

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/V-LCD651ST-HDMI.html :twisted:

Cheers

Han

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here, Han.

The video feature on a DSLR is definitely here to stay, and entrench itself as a tool for serious wildlife photographers. And the research community, which may not have the opportunity to observe the species 24/7 will likely benefit from other photographers who are able to capture special moments and post them.

Time to learn and start posting videos everyone :D

Cheers,
    PTLee

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]