• This topic has 1,407 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steplimsteplim

Hello

I would like some advise on SIDE-KICK + AK100 Plate. Is this combo good for birding expecially bird-in-flight?
    I know that you never know when you will go for next upgrade, is this combo able to cater for future upgrade?
    My current Gears are 300f/4L + canon 1.4TC, Markin M10 and P30 lens plate.
    My questions are as follows:

1) Is this a good Combo. 300f/4L + 1.4TC + SK100 +AK100 + P30 ?
    2) If I upgrade to 500mm, can this still able to support this combo assuming that my tripod can support the weight?

I checked the Wimberley online webpage and also the Naturephotgrapher.net both offer direct order but unsure which give better price and service. Can some users of Side-kick or or WH200 give me some advise.

Thank you very much.

Hi Stephen,

With you current 300mm set up the side kick is definitely sufficient. However, if you have intention to upgrade to 500mm, I will recommend Wimberley II head. It is more expensive but you will not need to upgrade again in the future. Having said that, I have seen people using side-kick for 500mm, so it will work, but to mount the heavy lens on the side-kick is quite awkward, as the lens mounting area of sidekick is at the side. you will have to lift the lens all the way to the mounting area in side way and tighten it.

In addition to the head, for side kick you will need to have a ball head that can take the weight of your set up and side kick plus a stable tripod that can take the total weight. For Wimberley head, you will not need to have ball head, but stable tripod is a must.

I bought mine from Naturescapes.net, they offer free domestic shipping. You can ship it to vpost location in the US and have vpost ship your stuff back to Singapore. The guys at naturescapes are quite responsive. Of course I also have good experience with BH.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Stephen,

Good advice from SC. A W2 will most prob be the ticket if you are getting a 500. A sidekick is a compromise. If budget allows, get a video head….I use the Sigma 300-800 with my video head and it’s way smooth and the setup is very balanced. I do not know about this (SC can confirm) but heard that a W head is more for birds in flight rather than still, non-moving ones? If that is the case, a video head may indeed be a better choice. There are a number of European nature photographers esp German ones who choose a video head.

A sidekick’s advantage is you can always use your regular ballhead if a macro subject appears all of a sudden.

Cheers

Han

Thanks SC for that valuable advise on side-kick.

I am using M10 ball-head for bird shots which gave me lots of problem when trying to take birds-in-flight shots.
    Just came across my mind to consider side-kick where it offers an option to my existing M10 and it is small that fit in my bag easily.
    I don’t foresee any update beyond 500 anyway :cry: so if side-kick is able to handle 500, this may give me the flexibility to switch to Macro subject easily with my 300f4/L as the nearest focusing distance is only 1.5m.

Thanks Han for your advise on Video head. I am not too sure how is that compared with side-kick? How heavy is Video head? Can I have a rough idea what price range a video head will cost? (is it ok to mention price here?)

thanks!

Hi Stephen,

Wimberley head and sidekick will definitely be more flexible than your M10, but most of my flight shots are handheld instead. Most of the flights shot will require good light, so camera shake due to handheld will not be a big issue.

Hi Han,

Wimberley head is good for both still and flight shots, although it is more flexible than a ball head, but still not flexible enough than handholding the lens.

Cheers,
    SC

Profile photo of ptleeptlee
    Participant

wimberly has an FAQ discussing the difference and similarities of the sidekick and wimberly head.

http://www.tripodhead.com/faqs-wimberle … dekick.cfm

Cheers,
    PTLee

Profile photo of hanYeo, Wee Han
    Spectator

Stephen,

Since SC (thanks SC) has confirmed that the W2 will work for both kinds of shooting, i will recommend the Wimberley. A good video head will set you back at about 2k odd (I use a Vinten Vision 6) and weighs much more. I have a cheaper Manfrotto that will set you back I think about 500 bucks but have not tried that with a long lens. Will do so soon and let you know though it will most probably be not in the same league as the Wimberley as the balancing will be an issue.

Cheers

Han

wimberly has an FAQ discussing the difference and similarities of the sidekick and wimberly head.

http://www.tripodhead.com/faqs-wimberle … dekick.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
    PTLee

Thanks PT,
    Most slightly settle for Sikekick as that suit me better, however need to confirm M10 can take the load of body lens and sidekick thogh.

Thanks SC, thanks Han,

It is good to know that for good BIF shots, the best support is your hands.
    Most slightly I will go for sidekick but will find out more before making final decision.

Profile photo of mingming

Stephen,
    I won’t recommend side-kick. Having used side-kick for almost a year, I finally gave up and use ballhead with my 400mm. As the mounting of the len is from the side, it is not very stable. A full gimbal will give you more stability, especially if you upgrade to 500mm. Your M10 will give enough support for your current setup. Btw, there are many version gimbals in the market now. Some cost the same as the side-kick. If you need to test-drive the side-kick, feel free to pm me.

Profile photo of chrislichrisli

I would recommend you go straight for the Wimberley Head, since both the Side Kick and Markin Ball Head will cost close to the Wimberley Head, which is currently $1177.00 and comes with the Wimberley P50 plate at CP.

Alternatively, Benro has come out with the Wimberley Head and Side Kick equivalent which is almost half the price. Have since other people using it and it seems to be working fine. You can get them at Ben Photo Peninsula Shopping Complex.

Thanks Ming,

Are you still using the Side-Kick? Sure, will try out the side-kick during one of birding outing, thanks in advance. :smile:

Thanks Chris,
    Yes, good point.
    I will wait and go for full Wimberley head as give more stability compared to SK+AK+M10. :smile:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]