Southern Double-collared Sunbird (Cinnyris chalybeus) 小双领花蜜鸟

• This topic has 316 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Had a wonderful 2 weeks vacation in South Africa. Travelling on the Western edge, looking for birds, flowers and big games. I will try to post some if there are interest.
    Here is my favourite group of birds, the Sunbirds. Four species were expected and photographed and one more species teh Marico sunbird was seen but not shot.

The Southern Double Collared is probably the most common and can be seen in the first half of the trip which was mostly southern area. As we approached the northern area, the occurrences subsided and slowly taken over by the Dusky sunbird.

1 & 2 were taken at Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden. The best botanic garden I ever been to.

3 was taken at West Coast National Park.

SDCS2.jpg
    SDCS.jpg
    SDCS.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hi,

What a beautiful & colourful Sunbird.
    Nice series & thanks for sharing

Thanks for viewing and comments

Sheau Torng,

Looks like a good fruitful (birdful) holiday you had :smile:.

And it’s impressive how the quality of your photos have become better by leaps and bounds over such a short span of time.

Below are just share my two cents’ worth…

For #1, what appears to be glossy leaves in the left background is the fly in the ointment as it tends to distract the viewer in competing for attention with the bird.

#3 has a nice clean background. Perhaps a little bit more cropping of the background might be good so that
    (1) the bird appears a little bigger in the frame,
    (2) the remnants of the other branches at the bottom can be done away with and
    (3) the area containing no additional "information" (ie. the uniform background) is a little less dominant in the photo.

Thanks for sharing the sunbirds and looking forward to more from you :)

Nian Huei

Cai, Yixiong

Hi ST,
    #2 is my pick for the series despite the "not so ideal" background. Perhaps lower bit your position will help to get it better.
    Agree with NH for the comments on #1 & #3. Thank for sharing!

Yixiong

Sheau Torng,

Looks like a good fruitful (birdful) holiday you had :smile:.

And it’s impressive how the quality of your photos have become better by leaps and bounds over such a short span of time.

Below are just share my two cents’ worth…

For #1, what appears to be glossy leaves in the left background is the fly in the ointment as it tends to distract the viewer in competing for attention with the bird.

#3 has a nice clean background. Perhaps a little bit more cropping of the background might be good so that
    (1) the bird appears a little bigger in the frame,
    (2) the remnants of the other branches at the bottom can be done away with and
    (3) the area containing no additional "information" (ie. the uniform background) is a little less dominant in the photo.

Thanks for sharing the sunbirds and looking forward to more from you :)

Nian Huei

Hi Nian Huei,
    Thanks for the effort of the detailed analysis. What differentiates a top notch and a second fiddle is all in the details. I need to be more concientious. #3, made some adjustments as suggested. I think it does look a lot better.

Hi ST,
    #2 is my pick for the series despite the "not so ideal" background. Perhaps lower bit your position will help to get it better.
    Agree with NH for the comments on #1 & #3. Thank for sharing!

Yixiong

Hi Yixiong,
    Thanks for viewing and comments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]