Forest Damselfly VIII – Yellow Featherlegs (黃狹扇蟌)

• This topic has 467 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Yellow Featherlegs (Copera marginipes) is a beautiful damselfly species. It is classified as a common species in Singapore but not many of us have seen or photographed it. The male has clear yellow marking on its thorax and legs but the female is less attractive with brownish black in colour. The juvenile is white in colour.

The males are more common as I had spotted them at Segar Road, Venus Drive & Chestnut Ave. I have seen the female and juvenile only once at Chestnut Ave recently. The males were very skittish during my earlier encounters so I was pleasantly surprised that I could get closer to them this time. I’m glad to get some improvement shots of the male and juvenile. I could only manage a record shot of the female :( C & C are most welcome.
    IMG_6272.jpg
    IMG_6569.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Sorry for exceeding the 3 images per day requirements as I would like to share the mating shot of this species although it was not well taken due to poor lighting and constant breeze :smile:
    IMG_6334.jpg

Attachments:
    sleepycat

wow Ant your Mandarin is very powderful! :nyah nyah:

Ok ok just kiddin’…strange the forum did not generate a thumbnail for your post??

Admire what u’re doing here…faithfully documenting the different damsels species…way to go bro. :applause:

I like the mating post, the suction is very powderful also…until the male can be lifted off the perch. :crazy happy: :nyah nyah:

Nice shots for #1! You are really the expert here on DF!

wow Ant your Mandarin is very powderful! :nyah nyah:

Ok ok just kiddin’…strange the forum did not generate a thumbnail for your post??

Admire what u’re doing here…faithfully documenting the different damsels species…way to go bro. :applause:

I like the mating post, the suction is very powderful also…until the male can be lifted off the perch. :crazy happy: :nyah nyah:

D,
    Yes, I notice it didn’t create a thumbnail, not too sure why. I have checked my image files and they seem ok.

My mandarin is too powderful that I could only read and confidently pronounned "黄” correctly :D

I set a target to collect 50% of the 44 species of damselflies found in Singapore by end of this year. I only have 18 so far. Look like I am unlikely to acheve it as it is getting much tougher to find new ones :(

Yes, quite an interesting mating pose. They don’t seem to like the heart-shape mating pose like most damsels do as I saw 3 pairs with this pose. I find it quite difficult to frame it with a good background.

Nice shots for #1! You are really the expert here on DF!

Thanks for your feedback, CY. Not an expert, just interested to collect DF ;)

Since this is not a very commonly seen damselfly, I might as well present the frontal shot of the male species. Sorry again for exceeding the 3 images limit ;)
    IMG_6658-2.jpg

Attachments:

Anthony,

Congrats on another species. Not sure why it did not generate thumbnail, will ask Phek Thong and Shaun.

Cheers,
    SC

wltpch

Hi Anthony
    Again re-affirming that you’re the leading expert on DF! :smile:
    Enjoy all your images!

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

NatureTTL

Hi Anthony,

Agreed with Loong Tat, we enjoyed seeing all these rare photographs of DFs.
    Hope you can achieve your target ;) .

Cheers..
    Allan

Anthony,

Thousand apologies, I was trying to fix the thumbnail issue, but accidentally deleted your images. :oops: Can you please edit your first post and upload the image again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    SC

Anthony,

Thousand apologies, I was trying to fix the thumbnail issue, but accidentally deleted your images. :oops: Can you please edit your first post and upload the image again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    SC

No problem, SC. Just reloaded the images. Thanks for fixing the problem. I saw the thumbnail now :)

Hi Anthony
    Again re-affirming that you’re the leading expert on DF! :smile:
    Enjoy all your images!

Cheers,
    Loong Tat

Loong Tat,
    Thanks for your nice words and I am glad you enjoyed it :)

Hi Anthony,

Agreed with Loong Tat, we enjoyed seeing all these rare photographs of DFs.
    Hope you can achieve your target ;) .

Cheers..
    Allan

Thanks Allan! I’ll continue to search for new DFs but I am really not very optimistic about it.

sleepycat

Since this is not a very commonly seen damselfly, I might as well present the frontal shot of the male species.

Ant, this has wow for me. Great shot. :kudos thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]