Martial Eagle (Polemaetus bellicosus) 猛雕

• This topic has 699 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

This eagle was taken at the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. This is the largest eagle in Africa and is the fifth heaviest eagle in the world. More so than any other African eagle, the Martial Eagle is often seen only in flight. This is an apex predator and have been noted as remarkable for their extremely keen eyesight (3.0–3.6 times human acuity). They like to take medium to big size birds. They are known to occasionally prey on Kori Bustards possibly the heaviest flying animal today. I did not manage to get of shot of the kori but do have a Lugwig’s Bustard that is slightly smaller.

Pic 1 and 2 shows the thick strong legs of the eagle. Despite standing still, these images exude so much power in the bird, it is awe inspiring! I definitely don’t want to be the prey, no chance of surviving.
    The chinese name of the bustard is the same as the chinese name of mamasan. Poor bird…

martial eagle.jpg
    martial eagle2.jpg
    ludwig’s bustard.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PA123

All are nice. #1 and #2 is too close.

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Hawkeye

yes, very majestic birds they are. Saw lots of them in Kenya.Those claws are super intimidating

ptlee
    Spectator

Nice series. Exposure is good on all three, details are also there.

#1 & #2 cropping is too tight for my liking though.

Nice capture of the bird in the field, is the horizon tilted? A tad loss of detail on the head, is this image cropped a lot?

Cheers,
    PTLee

Nice series. Exposure is good on all three, details are also there.

#1 & #2 cropping is too tight for my liking though.

Nice capture of the bird in the field, is the horizon tilted? A tad loss of detail on the head, is this image cropped a lot?

Cheers,
    PTLee

The tight cropping was due to a lot of branches on the right side. These shots of the eagle were taken in Kalahari, so it has to be taken inside the car. Limited options and angle. Not horizontal tiled, not heavily cropped too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[kleo_social_icons]